Comparing Wadia vs. Meitner

I believe that this represents the pinnacle of CD playback. Jerry, a fellow audiogoner was gracious enough to allow me to audition his broken-in Meitner CDSD / DCC2. In my system, the boxes were switched with mine, so they each had the same cables, power conditioning, power cords, and stand. Both were run directly into the amp without a preamp. My CD playback system includes the Wadia 27ix / 270se with the latest software and full modifications from Great Northern Sound. Also included are Elrod Statement power cords, a Hydra conditioner, and a Mana rack.

In short, I think that these are both excellent units. They are also very different in what they do. In my system, it was easy to distinguish between the two within several minutes. It probably comes down to personal preference in deciding which is best here. I’ll just simply say that I’m keeping the Wadia because I think it is a perfect match for my musical preferences, my system, and what I appreciate in music.

What I love about the Wadia is its ability to convey an (absolutely) astonishing amount of detail without being harsh or fatiguing. Not only is the melody and rhythm imaged with speed and coherence, but you can actually appreciate the musicians technique, the weight and color of the instrument(s), and the ambience of the recording venue. It simply presents a convincing image of a live event. The emotional quality is all there. You can understand what separates a great and (justly) famous professional musician from a pretty good one. Everything is properly proportioned, the soundstage is appropriate and believable, everything is audible, and the background is silent. From complex orchestral pieces and opera, to vocals, to solo instruments, I do not believe there are any weak spots. Again, it simply convinces and fools the mind into believing that you are sitting in front of the performance. I have frequented the concert halls, and I’d hate to say it but sometimes the recording is better.

I think that just about anybody could probably be happy with either of these 2 systems. Of course, curiosity makes us wonder if the grass is greener. I am just very content with where I am right now. I'd invite Jerry to make some comments when he gets a chance.

Rob
rtn1
oneobgyn: "Knowing Ugamotz and his system I can assure you that you are preaching to the choir on this one"

who's the choir, you or ugamotz? in other words, relevant to his conclusions about the meitner, ugamotz does or doesn't use a good power cord and good conditioner?
My point is simple

Ugamotz spares no details in his system and also uses Valhalla PC's as well as the best power conditioners
Ugamotz (aka Marty) uses Nordost Valhalla AC power cords on most of the system components. The exception is the Wadia units which have Nordost Eldorado AC cords. The system front end goes through an MIT Z Center, which I've always found advantageous although I have not compared it extensively to everything out there. (The back end- Bryston 7B's for the subs and ARC Ref 300 MkII for the towers- go directly into the wall- I NEVER use AC conditioners for amps- I have found them all to be disappointing as Jeff Rowland taught me years ago). I use the 2 isolated digital circuits of the Z center for two Wadia 27/270 pieces and a non-isolated output for the Meitner. I've tried flipping things around but could not put both the CDSA and the 27ix on the isolated digital circuits because they blew the Z center fuse!

I just ordered a Kimber Palladium 10 AC cord (probably overkill) for the Meitner as this seems to be EMM's preferred AC Power cord provider. I will keep you posted.
Marty
Marty. Do you have 500 hours on the PCM circuit yet? If not, I'd suggest waiting for your final judgement until you do. Bass should be in by about 350 hours but that last bit of top end clarity after 500.
Also my EMM seperates (SE) seem to be sensitive to cable changes (move/change) in that they need to settle in before the magic is back.
Frank
As a Wadia owner I understand Jtinns opinion on the brand. I agree that there is a certain digital quality to its presentation.
On the other hand having dealt with Steve at GNSC, they offer quality well thought out mods that improve the Wadias performance immensely. Plus Steve is a great person to deal with, always a gentleman and a straight shooter.
Between GNSCs mods and the best digital interconnect you can get, the Wadias offer extremely high caliber sound. Probably not the absolutely best out there but very. very good.
Caveat: I have not heard the very latest Wadia models.