So why was the Krell KPS 28c discontinued?

I was looking at a CES 2003 show report and it mentioned that as of January 2003, the KPS 28c was discontinued. Is this true and if so, why was it so soon after launch (less than 2 years) with no equivalent product out yet to replace it?

Jeff
rgbyhkr
You sound like you work for Krell. When I said built like a Sony, I meant a cheap Sony mid-fi player. The unit only weighed 17 lbs. The top never fit right. Unlike the kps 20i which was built like a tank, this unit had a plastic cd tray, a thin top which sounded like a tin can when you tapped it, and I would say that Krell had a hell of a nerve charging so much for a couple of circuit boards, a teac drive, a power supply and some outputs. Even with a 25% discount I paid $5600. This was a special order sight unseen situation which I will never do again. I kept it for 2 years because no one would pay a fair price for it because it was so overpriced to begin with. Krell is not known for their digital and this unit was better than previous Krells, but still somewhat grainy sounding. If you never owned one, how can you comment. Personally, with the exception of some of their amplifiers, I think Krell is some of the most overpriced junk on the market and components like the KRC series Pre-amps did nothing but distort the music. There is no reason why these products should be so expensive. The KPS 20i was built well but it had a grainy upper mid-range and that piece listed for 9K back in 1995. Give me a break!
Seems like you should be mad at yourself not krell,after all YOU are the one that bought and paid 5600.00. Sight unseen? did you ever hear one before you bought it? That is way to much money to spend on something you cant see or hear! you also said you knew that krell wasn't known for their digital Then why did you buy it? GIVE me a break!!
The only Krell dealer was not going to stock the product 28c, so I took a chance. And yes, I was mad at myself for making such an expensive purchase without an audition. I only learned after I owned the product about Krell's history with digital and particularly in the upper mid-range, their products tend to accentuate the worst characteristics of digital(at least the models I mentioned above including the KAV 300 which I used for 3 weeks). If you have never owned or had an extensive home audition, you are not in a position to evaluate a product. You know as well as I that the magazine reviews are designed to sell products for the advertisers. I have no motive here except to help. I am mostlty into analog with a VPI ext aires/JMW 12.5/dynavector/EAR 834 P phono stage. As well, I am using a SONY scd 777 es SACD player which works great for SACDs and isn't much worse than the Krell on redbook. But it does lack HDCD. For the record, I am using a Rowland Concentra 2 with Luxor power cord #11 and B&W 802 speakers
Ovature, yours must have had some parts missing if it only weighed 17 lbs. Maybe that accounts for why it sounded like crap and the top did not fit.