Do You Remember Your First CD Player?

I had owned the first of the first. I purchased the unit in 1982. It was a Sony CDP 101. It was the most obnoxious, raspy, annoying, piercing, grading, non-musical component I had ever heard.

Also, at the time, the complete CD library that was available consisted of about 15 CDs.

Now? I listen to my newest CD rig more than I listen to my turntable. My, how times have changed.

What was your first CD player and when did you purchase it?
128x128buscis2
I do not remember the model #'s of my first two cd players but the second two were a Hafler player and the JVC XLZ 1050 which was the first player I had owned that had an obvious sonic advantage over the others I had owned.

The first player I heard at a dealer that made my jaw drop was a Wadia ran through Levinson gear and Thiel 3.6's when they first came out.

Greg
Repost: I posted earlier that my first CD player was one of the very first models, mostly discreet circuitry! Sanyo toaster tilt drawer.
That lasted almost the year, and broke, under warranty, got fixed and sold it. Got the dreaded Sony 101 P.O.S.
It had a flaw, but the dealer said they all did that so... (Sometimes it wouldn't start a disc... and you would have to reload the disc... a lot!)
That hunk of garbage made way for a CLASSIC: The Phillips 880. On the cover of Audio Magazine and everything. A very nice player.
Added a Sony ES87 changer... years go by....
Finally the Phillips stops reading CDs. Ditto the Sony.
Try a Sony ES555 400 CD machine. Total garbage, return it.
Go for Rotel transport and Adcom DA-600.
Then a used Sony ES7 5 disc and a Sony ES9 5 disc, then get the Sony ES SACD777, for redbook CD playing.
Sold the (now POS sounding) Rotel. (in comparison to the Sony 55lb mother of all CD players)
Then (NOW!!!) I got the vinyl bug!!!
So I got sitting around:
Sony ES9 CD 5 disc changer
Sony ES7 CD 5 disc changer
Sony SACD ES 777 top loader
Technics DVD A-10 (which also plays CDs)
Adcom DA-600
Adcom DA-700
And all I do is play records... vinyl records...
(though the Sony ES7 is on all day every day playing the same five CD for YEARS... to keep my pets happy while I am at work!)
In the early eighties I was the general manager of a chain of high end audio stores in Southern California (up until 1989). I had been reading about CDs for a few years and couldn't wait to get one in. When they finally became available we ordered a Micro Seiki unit (I think it was a model 101). It was a toaster style machine made by some other company and private labled for Micro. There were so few CDs available then that the machine actually came with five CDs in the box!

I hooked it up to our best system and was ready to be blown away! It sounded sooooo bad that we all thought that it must be broken! Unforunately, we were wrong - it wasn't broken, it just sounded like it was. I was so disappointed!!

All the machines we tried back then from the various comapanies (and we went through a lot of them) were so sad that we refused to sell any machine until the second generation units arrived. Even though they weren't that much better, at least you didn't have to go screaming from the room when they were playing!

The first pretty decent machine I liked was a Magnavox 560 that was heavilly modified me as far as vibration control was concerned and Walt Jung did significant mods to the electronics.

Barry
Like one post already above, I bought a Denon DCD-1500 in 1986. I still have it (in a secondary system), it still works well, and still sounds pretty good.