Do You Remember Your First CD Player?

I had owned the first of the first. I purchased the unit in 1982. It was a Sony CDP 101. It was the most obnoxious, raspy, annoying, piercing, grading, non-musical component I had ever heard.

Also, at the time, the complete CD library that was available consisted of about 15 CDs.

Now? I listen to my newest CD rig more than I listen to my turntable. My, how times have changed.

What was your first CD player and when did you purchase it?
128x128buscis2
One of those highly touted (at the time) front loading Magnavox players circa 85-86.

I think the first CD I purchased was either a CBS Masterworks recording of "The Moldau" by Smetana (also the first piece on vinyl LP I ever listened to as a kid), Dylan's "Blood On the Tracks" or Roxy Music's "Avalon".

Next came a Sony for 3-4 years, a Cal Audio for about 10, and then my current Denon.
Sony CDP-520ES, bought in the early eighties, 1983, I think. Currently using an Arcam FMJ CD23T.
I have only ever owned one "CD player". I have been a vinyl junkie all along and resisted the move when CDs first hit the market.

My first disc player that would play CDs was a Sony MDP-333 Laserdisc / CD player. I replaced it with a Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc / DVD / CD player when DVD hit the scene. That was replaced with a Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi when I sold off my Laserdiscs.

When I put together a dedicated two-channel system several years back I used a first generation Sony Playstation SCPH-1001 for CD playback. I purchased my first real CD player, an Opera Consonance CD-120 Linear that I used for two years. I recently replaced it with a Parasound Halo D 3 so I could also listen to my small collection of SACD and DVD-A that I accumulated when I used the Pioneer Elite “universal” disc player.

I seriously doubt I’ll ever buy another CD player – I believe the future is in PS Audio PerfectWave Transport/DAC type products.