SACD - Dying already?

I just read the industry blurb in this month's TAS which described how it seems the stream of SACDs from Sony has pretty much dried up. I was in the largest local independent record store in my area last week and actually bought a SACD because it was music not available on CD. The SACD/DVD-A section was a bit smaller than a year ago and I asked the manager about it. He laughed and said they only sell 2-3 a month combined and he doesn't order many anymore.

Except for audiophiles, is anyone buying these things? Or, are all hopes and dreams of SACD slowly fading away (for at least Sony)?
tomryan
(1)You suggest that SACD is dying because they don't sell in local record shops, without realizing that record stores are dying both because of competition from the net and mega-stores.(BTW, I socialize where all the action is, not in places where the has-beens go.) : ) 2) Some claim that multi-inventory products, (competing formats) can only spell disaster, without realizing that it's not 1980: multi, or redundant inventory only causes space problems and extra inventory expense for the local middle man, (see issue (1)), who, in the 2004's, is not an issue anymore. (3) Sony came up with SACD because there were more than a few people who had been complaining for years about PCM and digital harshness. EMI/Warner came out with DVD-A for people who...weren't complaining. (4) While there are classic turntables, classic amps, speakers, etc.; there are no classic redbook CD/PCM players. (Type "classic CD player" into ebay if you must.) (5) According to one of this month's Hi-Fi mags, Japanese companies are no longer mass-producing CD players, only Universals. (6) People buy DVDs because they want to collect movies, not because they love the format. (7)"Let's just buy all our music on DVD...." Do you know how many people are going to have their hands in the royalty cookie jar then? You ready to shell out even more money to pay Madonna'a hair-dresser? (8) Cheap Universals have only been out for a year. When I bought my Marantz SA-14 v.2 SACD/CD player, I had to wait because it was on back-order--the US inventory had sold out. Hmmm. No one is going to want SACDs after paying 3K for a player? Question: how many of you have a decent hi-rez player, have listened to it in your home with a broad range of recordings for at least 3 months, THEN came on here with an educated point of view. Uh huh, I thought so.
Your right, DVD is for those who aren't complaining, and they're the ones who are going to determine the market. Socialize wherever you like, just remember those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it.
I agree with the mass market MP3\cmptr outlook! I do not like their quality and will always try to buy what I can locally instead of through a website.

I have been scouring Pawn Shops for used CD's and they are a bargain for myself. What others paid $5-$15 I am getting for less than $2 which is fine by me. While I still like to used remastered or good recordings because my system and speakers are revealing also,if it is not a good recording it will sound like trash.

I sat out the whole SACD and now DVD-A thing till the dust settled. It sometimes is best to do so until a clear winner is shown.

Now I can get on with my listening without being concerned about Formats.
I have been involved in this hobby for over 40 years, started with valves went to transistors and back to valves and now have both in my system. Worked briefly as a recording engineer and been to more live concerts than I care to count. I guess what I am trying to say is that I have a lot of experience listening to music and I would like to add to this post.

I love the sound of well recorded SACD. It is as close to the source as I have heard with probably the exception of the master tapes. Any audiophile worth his salt that listens to SACD in a good system should be able to tell the difference between cd and SACD. SACD is not competing in the marketplace with DVD-A, it is competing with cds. CDs will be the benchmark music product for a long time with no end in site. The general public just doesn't care that much about audio quality and will settle for less.

How many of the posters have really listened to SACD out there in a good system and I don't mean a 200.00 Sony player. Give it a listen, enjoy the best we have today. If it becomes a niche market so be it, I will still enjoy it.After all there are still a lot of folks out there still listening to 78s and having the time of their lives.Good listening to all.
It doesn't matter whether or not your friends have heard of hi-rez. Let's play a game to show how silly this is. "My friends have never heard of Cardas Cable." "My friends have never heard of Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs." My friends have never heard of Telarc." If these companies are doomed, they and I don't know about it. Silly.

Many of you still need to get out of your 1980's pre-internet thinking, which goes thusly: SACD = niche market = death. Mass market = life. I read in The Economist that we are no longer mass-market consumers--the internet has transformed consumers--esp. with regards to entertainment--into a massive community of niche market enthusiasts. Because we suddenly have a global inventory at our fingertips, and all the information we want regarding that inventory, we've been able to sharpen our tastes and desires and make direct connections with those companies ready to fulfill our wants. It's no longer the case that the local buyers for Sears shape our tastes and limit what's available to us. Are you following? If SACD becomes a niche market, so be it. According to The Economist, it's the Age of the Niche Market. You gotta know this stuff before making such near-sighted assertions.