Got big amp-help with 20A line and receptacle

So, I just purchased a Krell FPB 400cx, which I'm told requires a dedicated 20 amp line. Yes, I have read some Agon threads on running dedicated lines, as well as 20 amp receptacles. But they are mostly several years old and I am interested in some current basic recommendations.

I am not looking for the most expensive or esoteric setup, but do want to do it as best I can. The receptacle location is in the family room, which I estimate will require about 50-60 feet of cable from the breaker box in the garage.

So, at first all I knew was that I would be running a new line from the breaker box and that it would be grounded there. But some posters here and elsewhere stated that I should have an isolated ground installed outside the house and at least 6 feet from the existing ground. There were also suggestions around exactly which location IN the breaker box to place the new line and breaker.

We do have three refrigerators here, one in the kitchen, one in the utility room, and another in the garage. Of course, we we have all the other typical appliances in the house. One good thing is that, in my current setup with no dedicated lines, I don't hear any noise through the speakers unless I use the dimmer in the family room. So, maybe the power in the house is pretty decent.

With regard to receptacles, I've read various comments about the different brands, as well as the various effects of gold, rhodium, or other plating. To start with, I would like to try the most neutral sound I can get.

I did speak with two electricians today, and neither seemed to have much familiarity with the considerations for audio quality that I mentioned to them. Therefore, I would like some input on what to ask of them. If I am making this too complicated and harder than it needs to be, I'd like to know that as well. I would really appreciate any tips and input!
mtrot
But some posters here and elsewhere stated that I should have an isolated ground installed outside the house and at least 6 feet from the existing ground.
Bad advice, forget the dedicated earth ground. The earth does not possess some magical mystical power that sucks nasties from our audio gear. The safety equipment ground main purpose is to provide a low impedance, resistive, path for ground fault current to return to the source, the electrical panel.

I did speak with two electricians today, and neither seemed to have much familiarity with the considerations for audio quality that I mentioned to them. Therefore, I would like some input on what to ask of them.

First off it depends on the local electrical code in your state and city what type of electrical installation can be used in your area. The electricians in your area will know what is allowed.

Because you are using an existing convenience receptacle outlet circuit to power your audio equipment I would suggest installing at least two new dedicated branch circuits. One dedicated circuit for the new power amp and one for the other equipment. With two dedicated circuit there is a less chance of a ground loop hum problem. This will lessen the chance of a difference of potential, voltage, existing between the two equipment grounding conductors of the two dedicated circuits.
If it were me I would feed my preamp and power amp from the same dedicated circuit. Use the other dedicated circuit for the other associated equipment.

You said the length of the run is around 50 to 60 feet. Did you figure up and down over and around in your calculation? If not that can add another 20 feet to the length.

IF you decide to plug the preamp into the same receptacle as the power amp I would install #10 AWG wire for this 20 amp dedicated circuit. With #10 AWG wire you won't have to worry about any dynamic power demand fluctuations from the power amp effecting the power being fed to the preamp.

For the other dedicated circuit use #12 Awg wire.

Type of wiring and wiring method used.

Probably the worst type of wiring method is to install conduit then pull the wires loosely randomly into the conduit. This method will assure you ground loop hum problems. Worse yet is to install more than one dedicated branch circuit in the same conduit.

If conduit is used, or must be used to meet local code, use aluminum armor MC Cable. One cable for each dedicated branch circuit. I would recommend solid core wire over stranded wire. MC is made both ways.

If code in your area allows NM-B cable,( Romex is a trade name of NM-B cable), works well providing long parallel runs are kept separated by at least 6 inches to reduce induced magnetic fields of the current carrying conductors from inducing a voltage onto the one another most importantly onto the equipment grounding conductors of the NM-B cable.

Make sure all the dedicated branch circuits are fed from the same Line, leg, of the electrical panel for all audio / video equipment that is connected together by interconnects.

A must read before you call the electrician.
Bill Whitlock, President of Jensen Transformers Inc.
http://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf
Pay close attention to pages 31 through 36
Jim
Contact any of the makers of "audiophile" grade outlets (PS Audio, Shunyata, etc.).
What I did in a similar situation was to run 8 AWG wire DIRECT from the breaker to a Wattgate IEC plug and into the amp. I seem to be blessed with good quiet power here; I know what to turn off when I sit down to really listen to music and haven't sensed the need for power remediation. (We will be adding a whole-house surge protector soon, I realize that my amp is at a bit of a risk right now.) This may eliminate a few expensive pieces of the puzzle, like a receptacle and fancy power cord. A separate earth ground is fine but may or may not be necessary, in my opinion.

Regards,
Oran
Hello...why won't you try Hubbell hbl5362 w for (white)
I did replace my main AC wall outlet "Oyaide R1"by réceptacle Hubbell HBL 5362 w And i never got Back.
Once burnt in ...!!!..beleive me i replaced all my power cell P.S audio réceptacles by Hubbell HBL 5362w And i realy discovred the meanings of
Réceptacle ..clarity..Music...And it has nothing to do with what i have heard before...i am now listening to analogique Sound "seat & relax" i never got Back .
Cost less than 30$.... (I have no link what so ever with Hubbell ...i am just a happy audiogoner audiophile Customer...hope that help you.chahed
I have three dedicated 20 amp lines using #10 Romex for my current system.
I went back to one line terminated in a Furutech GTX receptacle for the power amps.
The second line is terminated in a Shunyata RPZ outlet and that powers all the front end, analog gear out of a Hydra 8.
The third line is terminated in a 20 amp IEC that plugs into a Hydra 2 which is then mated to my cd/sacd player.
All my power cords are Shunyata, except for my temporary DIY to the power amps.
Isolating the digital gear from the rest of the system is very rewarding.
Some might call this overkill, but it's working very well for me.