conundrum

Hello,

I just went to my stereo dealer - ready to purchase the B&W 802d or the Maggie 20.1 (close to same in price).

I've been a Maggie fan all my life - but need to try new things.

And I found the B&W's sounded really great, I was surprised.
And I was also surprised the Maggie's sounded just terrible.
They were at once muffled and too brilliant (hard to get all that wrong).

So I went home and listened to my old Maggies (3.5) and thought they sounded really good, too. And I know in my heart that my moderately priced Maggies cannot really sound better than the big ones.

My electronics are inferior (although not bad) to what I heard in the store (though my room is a lot larger).

So what gives?
Does Magnepan make a great speaker through the 3 series and then they don't know what they're doing?
There was something about the B&W's that didn't thrill me - although they are fine speakers and I can't define what that is.

Why should the 20.1 sound so horrible?

I'd planned to purchase the big Maggies and even had my new amps picked out - but I was horrified with what I heard.

Maybe I'm going crazy. Maybe there is too much stress in my life.
nottop
You can't judge a speaker by the price or the size. In subjective listening tests a good $2k pair can beat a $12k pair. Do yourself a favor. Listen to more speakers without any limits on price or type—listen to what you can't afford and what you might not even consider worth your time. Then, some months from now, let us know your observations.
Did you hear both speakers on the same equipment?
I've heard some very expensive equipment sound really bad.
And I knew that the equipment was capable of sounding incredable.
Sometimes it just the synergy thang.
It was probably just the room, set up or amplification. If you liked the 3s at home, you will most likely like the 20s.
As always, the only way to determine if any speakers 'work' for you is to have them in your room, connected to your gear. If a dealer will not accommodate that, move on, and consider all the comments Elizabeth made.
Answer:

In home audition for 3 days. The first day will be bad to ok, second, better, third reflective of what you can expect long term. (Generalizing)
Don't spend any money until you hear them in your room, with your electronics, cables etc.
My dislike of the 'house sound' of B&W makes me very suspicious of them being able to sound anything like as good as the big Maggies.
Maggies are more neutral, and more musical, faster--better in virtually every way...IMHO.

Good luck.

Larry