Some impression on Zu Omen Definition

I just pick up a pair of Zu Omen Definition, and I have mixed feelings. It sound very different from my B&W.

First of all, the height of the sound. For my B&W, the sound is a bit higher than my ear level. But for the Zu, it is the same or a bit lower than my ear level. This sounds a bit weird. Because usually the singer will be on a stage, so, it is more natural to expect the sound is higher from my ear level.

Secondly is the depth. For my B&W, the singer is behind the speaker plane. For the Zu, the singer is very forward. It almost feel it is in front of the speaker plane. I don't know which way is better. Due to this difference, for the 30 mins or so .. I feel very weird listening to Zu.

Why would 2 speakers have so much different in presentation? The zu is much taller than the B&W, so, I expect it will project a bigger soundstage. And usually the sound stage is behind the speaker. But with the height and forward sounding, I can't say produce a big sound stage. Or can I say it produce a sound stage in front of the speaker plane, and I need to sit back further?
gte357s
Hi, I need some advise on picking the right amp. I have limited budget around $1000. I can stretch it maybe to $1200. I will buy used equipment. So far, based on other people's comment and my budget and reviews, I have the following 3 candidates:

1) a local AES SE-1 for $800. This has low hour Audio Note 300B tube. 7 watt per channel. I think this is a pretty old unit and $800 seems too much. I think it is retail ~ $1500 in 1995.

2) Decware Mini-Torii. 3-6 watt. I read good reviews about Decware amps. I found a used one for $1100.

3) F3 clone. I am not sure how much. Maybe $700?

Which one do you think will give me the biggest bang for the buck?

Thanks.
I'm listening to a pair of Superflys with an F3 clone as I type this and its damn good. You should be able to pick one up between $500 and $600 here when they come up and I strongly suggest you do to assess it for yourself. They re-sell easily if you don't like it and you've got nothing to lose.

This F3 along with a Redgum RGi120 (integrated) are the two solid state standouts I've found for Zu speakers. I'm driving my F3 clone with a Shindo pre and the presentation is very similar to my 845 SET monos. Not sure I'd know which was playing if blindfolded--it really is SS that sounds like SET.

The Redgum makes for an exceptional, energetic synergy as well. Not quite the level of refinement of the Shindo/845 or F3 combos, but dripping wet, nicely textured and with awesome bass and drive.

I've got a Redgum RGi35 sitting on my dining table that I've been meaning to compare to my buddy's RGi120 (also on my table) and contrast the 2 against the F3 for my summer amp duties (845s too hot), but since the F3 has gotten here I haven't had much interest in pulling it out to A/B.

Someone on AC said that Mini-Torii was highly recommended by one of the Zu boys and has an exceptional synergy with the Omens. I haven't heard it, but my interest is piqued in that amp. I was strongly tempted to buy the used one on AC to demo for myself, but I've got four amps on hand at the moment and there has to be SOME end to my wife's patience with me, lol.
I am very interested in the Mini Torii too. I think it looks very good, better than a F3 clone. And I am using a SS now, so, I am tempted to try a tube SET even though the F3 sound very close to a tube SET. One thing is, the Mini Torii is much more expensive than a F3 clone ... and I can't find any review or comments with someone directly comparing the two.

BTW, is the mini Torii an integrated or a power amplifier? It has a volume knob, and it seems it has a preamp section, and it stated on the web site that a preamp is not needed. But what if I already have a preamp? Would it alter the sound in a negative way if the signal is preamp twice?

And it has 3.5 watt into 4 ohm, not sure how much watt will be there for Omen Def which is 6 ohm .. like 4.5 watt?
The Mini torii has a volume control, but many amps come like this in the SET world. So you can use a pre amp or not, and it will not harm the quality of your sound if you do. Either the F3 or the Decware will be a winner for you, though I am betting the Decware would be much less similar to your current amp than the F3. BTW you will have to be very patient, and move quickly to get a used DIY F3. I bought the one Gopher had within an hour or so of it posting and Gopher snagged mine in about 15 minutes. That was the only one I have seen for sale in two months. If I were you, based on what I know about myself and Gopher, I would grab the Decware before we jump on it. If I were not breaking in a brand new fabulous amp with two other fantastic amps sitting next to it, I would go for it myself:). But I am spontaneous and may change my mind at any second:).