Ohm Walsh 2000 vs MMG vs Vandersteen 2ce Sig?

Ohm Walsh 2000 versus Magneplanar MMG versus Vandersteen 2ce Signature II? How does they compare with respect to speed, dynamics, tonality, texture, detail, tranparency, extension and sound stage?
pmboyd
Peter,

Good that you got a chance to check out the Vandy. I suspected that they'd satisfy your requirements for a "gentler" treble, per your last post, but evidently they represent too much of a good thing for your needs. Your reaction to the Vandy clarifies how you judge that particular sound. Incidentally, while many people (including me) like them a lot, I don't think you're alone in suggesting that the Vany leans that way on a relative basis. (I agree, but I have less issue with those qualities than you do - just my take on the specific design trade-offs.)

Given your response, I'd guess that the MMG might be your preference - provided you can get them to image to your satisfaction. As Schubert notes, that is highly room dependent.

I'm fairly confident that the Ohm will either please or displease on the basis of its spacial presentation. Relative to my VSM, I find the Ohm 100 audibly softer than Merlin on top, a bit "drier" thru the mids, and just a touch fuller below 100hz or so. I doubt you'd find this as obvious on first audition as the dramatic difference in spatial qualities between omnis and planars or dynamics.

I know that you were also thinking Merlin at one point, and my guess is that you'd find the Merlin strong in all the areas that you find the Vandy weak. That said, I can't speak to the octave to octave balance on the little Merlins, as I've only owned the floorstanders.

Good Luck,

Marty
Obviously I can't say that the Vandy's weren't set up right or in an inappropriate room, but, I have heard them sound as you've suggested under such conditions. Now, they may just provide the sound you first heard elsewhere, but you might want to consider another audition somewhere else before writing them off. Based upon your opinion of the Vandy's so far, I'd suggest you consider Thiels. IMO, you have to move up the Maggie line to compete with the Vandy's 2's, i.e. Maggie 3 series.