Does long hair destroy the soundstage?

I have noticed that people with thick long hair covering the ears (often women) do not hear some of the finer aspects of the sound like soundstage, and therefore dont get as much enjoyment from high end systems.
I have checked this out myself once when we were going to a fancy dress party and I was dressed as a rock star with long wig. I have also asked a couple of women to put their hair behind their ears and tell me if it sounds different or better, but that was not as definitive.
Could this be a factor explaining why most people in here are men?
mike60
I think that it's obvious that anything over your ears will have an effect on the sound. Having hair over your ears would be expected to muffle the sound.

As for this being related to the demographic of audiophiles, I'd say this is a small factor.

In my opinion, a significant part of the audiophile "bug" is related to the enjoyment of having and tinkering with the equipment. How many women do you know that truly enjoy tinkering with electronics. For them it's significanlty more about the music and, in my opinion, when it's all about the music the system isn't nearly as important. As always there are exceptions, but swapping expensive speaker cables for a minor difference in sound isn't evidence of a listening being all about the music.
HA HAH HAH HAH ........
"Could this be a factor explaining why most people in here are men?"
The answer is no. That is not the reason.
The reason is this is a obsessive 'technical' hobby, full of technobabble, and not many turnkey solutions. And the ones that are that easy, never would need a place like Audiogon in the first place.
The few women who do wander at most of the audiophile sites are often attacked or insulted, and once bitten, twice shy is a rule for women. Only a few post here much at all, and even fewer, like me, post a lot. So of the tens of thousands of men, and maybe five women who post....
And for most women I advise do NOT use a female or feminine moniker. And do not let on you are a woman. Unless you can kick ass online. Or, use the helpless trick, and never state a strong opinion..

As for the 'finer aspects' of audio listening. i would say it is training which leaves women out of the loop. The average woman is not listening to the same details a guy would. The typical guy thing is loud, with a lot of bass, no women i know want that at home.
Ask married audiophiles and the first thing from the wife is 'Can you turn that down"... LOL And that is for the too much low frequency booming. I hate a lot of low frequency and demand a particularly well done upper frequencies from my stereo.
So men and women just listen differently, and it has little to do with how they wear thier hair. (i have to say this is the most unusal idea!)
If you browse used records in secondhand stores, notice all those easy listening LPs? all of those were from women. Just like "Kenny G" the easy listening Jazz dude, is for women not men. Now some women do like the stuff men like in music, but in general..
Excessive ear hair is actually good for the sound, filtering out any of unpleasant lumpy sounds, making the overall listening experience smoother and more engrossing.
I remember when I had my ears cleaned and they had to cut all the hairs out.....got back home listened to music and OMG. I had planned on upgrading my radio shack speakers but no need.

Hope that answers everyones questions.
Perhaps it's time to have audiophile ratings for hairstyles. Or better yet, audiophile hair care products.
Full Spectrum Shampoo - $248.00 / 12 oz..
High Frequency Taming Conditioner - $248.00 / 12oz..
Each product could also be sent back to the manufacturer, and upgraded to the "SE" formula for only $124.00 plus shipping.