Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
Read quickly through the various posts. Seems no one mentioned big bands. I like the Toshiko Akioshi/Lew Tabackin Big Band, Tales of a Courtesan and Long Yellow Road. Rob McConnell & the Boss Brass (I know the name sounds lame) Big Band Volume 1 on PAUSA and The Brass is Back on Concord. Merely suggestions. Not exhaustive for sure and not necesarily winners of desert island sweepstakes either. They just sound good to my ears and they certainly swing, each in their own way.
Me again, Didn't see any mention of Oscar Peterson in there. He is a giant. Oscar Peterson in Russia on Pablo with Niels Pedersen and Jake Hanna is one old piece of vinyl I still go back to once in a while. I like Sonny Stitt also, I remember one Sunday night, over thirty years ago, going alone to a small club here in Montreal run by Doudou Boicel and hearing Mr. Stitt live. There wasn't more than fifteen people in that place and Mr. Stitt appeared to be in a foul mood, but the playing was fine by me and the immediacy of it all still makes me think he was playing just for me. I am sure I am not the only one out there who has fond memories of Sonny Stitt's playing. Geez, I guess I'll go to my purveyor of fine (and not so fine, believe me it takes all kinds) music tonight and check out what recordings of Sonny Stitt are available.
keith jarret - my personal favorite.

man great performances (and great recordings on emc!)
visit www.nyjg.de and order some of their albums. you can also read about them in Jazz Thing issues that described at that link.
Maybe it's my German heritage, but what about Passport? The "Talk Back" (hard to find but might have some luck used -- e.g., smoothsounds.com) and "Infinity Machine" albums are, IMHO, great. Many mention Chick Corea -- I'd like to recommend the "My Spanish Heart" album in particular. The other posts are great and mention some fantastic music. Thanks.