Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
Here's some more recent jazz artists that I really like.
1. Medeski Martin & Wood
2. John Scofield
3. Charlie Hunter
4. Bill Frisell
5. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
6. Soulive

Also, if you like jazz check out some jambands, especially my favorite band, Phish.
Vincere, thanks for the recommendations. I heard Bela Fleck live in a reasonably intimate setting and absolutely loved the concert! When I bought a CD, I was somewhat disappointed at the "studio" sound (vs live sound) that seemed to lose the pacing and rhythm I was expecting. Could you recommend a CD that captures the energy of the band? Thanks.
Chet Baker-self titled
Bill Evans/Jim Hall-Undercurrent
Bill Evans-Live At The Village Vanguard
Soundtrack Pete Kelly's Blues
Anything Grant Green

I could go on forever...this is insane....check around and read some literature on jazz. Not sure what tastes you have in jazz music (blues influenced/lounge/vocalist/bop)? Lots to explore thats for sure.
Musicdok and others:

I, too, love Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown music. I think it made its mark on me as a kid watching the cartoons and I have listened to it during the holidays for years ever since.

I was a little embarrassed, however, when I "interviewed" with a jazz piano teacher who was a professor of jazz and musical composition in New York.

When inquiring about my goals and musical interests, he sneered dismissively at the mere mention of Vince Guaraldi --"That's NOT jazz...." At least I recovered slightly with my interest in Bill Evans. Dave Grusin, however, somewhere in between Vince Guaraldi and Britney Spears on his jazz rating scale.

So maybe someone can explain snobby, highbrow jazz to me and I can begin a more serious study there. I totally get Kind of Blue and might even say it has already changed my life. As I write, I am listening to Thelonius Monk Straight no Chaser on SACD which I also like.

Who are the other serious, hard core, jazz afficionados only, , double black diamond, graduate level, straight into the deep end guys?

Thank you.
I'll explain "snobby, highbrow jazz" to you, if you explain "snobby highbrow audio" to me.