Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
My pleasure, that collaboration was from the same year. They obviously clicked - and how!
I wonder what happened to the gentleman who started this very interesting thread some 12 years ago, December 2000.

He, one Mr Kadlec, never really sounded off about how he'd benefited from all this well-intentioned advice as to how to navigate those wild rapids of jazz music.

I fully expected him to scream, at some point, "PLEASE make it stop, I am confused and broke"... Probably right after the "professor" Campbell weighed in early with his knife-shaped erudition.

I would really like to know what happened to "Kadlec" after he realized what he had unleashed - but we will never know - unless he tells the story himself.

Please Mr Kadlec, if you are still around and well after 12 years, come in and tell all - if only to make this thread not merely excellent, but really spectacular.

Because by innocently asking for advice, you just as innocently started the 12 years of intense cross-pollination of tastes and trends among the great jazz afficionados that have joined "your" thread to help you, but also mightily helped each other in the process.

Kudos to you, please come back.

And I would be remiss and really off-topic if i did not reveal what am I listening to :

JOE HENDERSON : STATE OF THE TENOR LIVE IN THE VILLAGE VANGUARD VOL 1&2 (ridiculously indescribable work)

COUNT BASIE ON PABLO RECORDS produced by Norman Granz, especially BASIE JAM, BASIE JAM #2, 88 BASIE STREET, KANSAS CITY 7, all SATCH AND JOSH piano duets with Oscar Peterson (this is not controversial - do not miss this)

JAN GARBAREK w/TERJE RYPDAHL : ESOTERIC CIRCLE (1969, before George Russell lost Jan to NewAge conflict-free "musical" mystics).

JOHN McLAUGHLIN : EXTRAPOLATION (this was mentioned just once in the 12 years, amazingly, the amazing symbiosis of John Mc.. and John Surman makes it a sleeper of the century).

MILT BUCKNER : GREEN ONIONS (this cat spent his time in France, so most of his stuff is on Black and Blue label and not reissued by anyone here, he was comfy with Illinois Jacquet as well as with "Gatemouth" Brown, shuttling it between Paris and London - search him out and you will be amazed how wide the Atlantic really is).

Well, Mr Kadlec, I dedicate these tips specifically to you in hopes that you will come out and tell the story of "ME and My Audiogon Thread", just because your thread still lives and may it live into the next decade.
1959 was a banner year for Jazz;

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.
Dave Brubeck - Time Out.
Charles Mingus - Ah Um.
For a good overview of the current jazz scene
Check out the 4 dvd series. Icons Among Us

Killer stuff with many great underground artists