Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
Germanboxer,

Not at all. I just didn't want to come off as if I was insulting your amps. They're very good, some of the best sound I'd heard with my Zus technically. They didn't click for me emotionally, but I respect the hell out of them and am not surprised they're winners on the new Definitions.

When Glory referred to MM he was referring to a MacMini, a small all in one computer made by apple that a lot of guys use as music servers. He replaced it with a Lampizator transport which I had the pleasure of spending a week with a week ago. Its a damn fine piece! Its an EXTENSIVELY modified Squeezebox Duet with tube power supply and tubed SPDIF out which is quite unique... I'm working on a little something with a digi-lampi kit (tube SPDIF out) myself at the moment.
>>One thing I have overlooked is that the Melody 300B did work well with my Zu Druids, a 12 ohm load versus the Def's 6 ohm load.<<

300B amps can be a great match to Druid, standard Omen and any other Zu speakers with a lower limit of roughly 40Hz or above, regardless of impedance. But sufficient execution of 300B SET topology, especially in OPTransformers and power supply size, stiffness and regulation, to maintain linearity into the deeper bass regions Definitions can attain is generally a more expensive proposition. I've heard Melody SET gear, but not their 300B amp so can't comment about its suitability for Definition specifically. I have however heard very good bass from 300B SET on Definitions, in the form of the Coincident Frankenstein monoblocks, the Audion Golden Dream PSET monoblocks (recapped specifically to improve this) and the novel Butler current dumping implementation wherein a single 300B per channel primarily governs sound quality in tandem with a muscle amp. DIYhifisupply has an interesting 300B amp in a similar complementary scheme with a "muscle SS amp" and in that case, the amp is switchable between pure 300B SET operation at 7/7w, or fusion operation at 40/40w. I haven't heard this amp but having heard some of their other reasonably priced tube gear, there is reason for optimism this may be a very effective affordable triode amp for Definitions.

Further, I've found the KR Audio 300B tube to significantly contribute to more controlled deep bass quality from many 300B SET amps, though some of the hardness it contributes to bass discipline can change the midrange and treble euphonia some folks seek from their 300B amplification, from lush to a more aggressive punch and slam at some expense to midrange tone density. I happen to have found the right optimization for that tube in the recap of my Golden Dreams that also improved the objectivity of the Sophia mesh plates, correcting their euophonics while also leveraging the KR Audio's assertive discipline while dialing up their beauty and tone.

300B amps, if optimized for good linearity at full bandwidth, can be stellar revealers of the obscured musical event, so shouldn't be overlooked. It just may be a more expensive proposition to get the right match of amps/tubes/speaker than many people hope.

Phil
GB,

Mac Mini = MM

Linear Power Supply = LPS

Going direct from my Amarra Dac to the Atma was a clear and dynamic sound but I lost 3D/tone/ and the emotional side of the music. When I changed Dacs to the Lamp L4 tube Dac I could run direct with no problems.

The Power Bridge will cause you to realize that it is a major breakthrough in AC power supply for digital playback. When installed on my Transport/Dac I listed and sold my Running Springs DMitri on the same day.

If you want to demo a PB let me know.
Phil,
Very good advice for those who may be interested in the 300b amplifier route(strong,over built power supplies and transformers). In terms of the output tube for superior bass weight,impact as well as control/firmness and articulation= Sophia Royal Princess and the Takatsuki -TA 300b. these two do it all from bass to treble,they`re superb but very expensive unfortunately(they do deliver the performance!).Both are supreme, Takatsuki just a bit better.