Anyone listen to Zu Audio's Definition Mk3?

Comparisons with the 1.5s and the others that came before? Getting the itch; again......
128x128warrenh
The high frequencies of the 4s are what are really impressing me at the moment. I've heard other spkrs with more "spectacular" treble, but it always in the long run seems discontinuous from the mids.
In comparison, the 4s' high end sounds so organic, and continuous with the mids. I'm sure this is a function of the new nano FRDs being so much more snappy and transparent, covering a good deal of the higher spectrum anyway, leaving the Radian supertweeter less strained and more integrated. It can't be any coincidence that there's no complicating xover to contend with.
I'm finding my Hovland amps are synergising nicely, but am still interested in hearing opinions as to whether a Duelund CAST Cu cap upgrade will enhance further sweetness in the presentation. Need more opinions please.
Zu continue to amaze. Just got back from ESCO a modded Zu 103 cart. Within SECONDS of the stylus dropping in the groove, I'm in analogue Heaven.
Sean and the guys are engineering geniuses to take the humble 103 and boost it's performance to make it work right at home with what I believe are spkrs performing right at the apex of what's possible.
Had been considering the Straingauge cart, but not so sure now, really believe synergy may be everything.
I'm right in 'the zone' listening to the ESCO modded Zu 103 cart on my tt thru the Def4s. It so outperforms the 4x more expensive, and more celebrated, Transfiguration Orpheus, that it's beyond a joke.
An amazing synergy is going on between these two components, maybe no surprise since Sean and the Zu team voiced the 4s specifically around the strengths of the Zu 103.
It's no coincidence that the most difficult components to get right in an analogue based audio system are the transducers (ie cart and spkrs). They hold the key to the 'flavour' of the system, and it's so easy to get their choice wrong. Thus it's great that both these components have a deliberate similarity in tone and feel.
So any tt users who are running the 4s, do yourself a favour and get the Zu 103, and even better still get the ESCO modification, you won't be sorry.
The Def 4s continue to impress. My Hovlands are really synergising nicely, and feeling so attached to these components for 7 years now, I'm deciding not to go ahead with any amp upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
My opinion of the 4s escalates. Each day I feel it brings something new to the listening experience. Digital has never sounded so expressive, and the synergy of the spkrs with Zu's own 103 cart (augmented by ESCCo mods) really is bringing out the best in analogue too.
It's really refreshing to find an audio product where a revision brings a whole set of improvements rather than just a new name and inflated price for little in return.
Really feel at it's price point it's without peer, and sure it would give spkrs 2-3x the price a real run for their money.
All those Wilson/Magico/YG etc. purchasers are really missing a trick by not trying these beauties!
Hey, am I the only one to keep the Def4 thread alive? A note to Phil esp., I've just got back the Uk based Expert Stylus And Cartidge Company (ESCCo) modded Zu 103 cart with unique Paratrace stylus and White Sapphire cantilever.
Rest assured Phil, imho ALL the positives of the stock Zu 103 are retained, with some distinct improvements - a much more lithe bass, but esp. a taming of the stridency in the treble that it was always a little close to on many discs.
In a lot of ways the improvements parallel the Def2 to 4 upgrade, ie the DNA of the Zu 103 is all present esp. supreme tonality and involvement, with a slightly less 'hot' balance, and a smoother, more extended, somewhat more transparent overall sound.
If you have a spare Zu 103, give ESCCo a spin, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
Btw, will follow your cap comparison on the Druid V thread. Can you confirm that since the Druid V and Def 4s use the same Radian 850, any preference on the Druid V will be replicated on the Def 4s?