Sony s7700 mods by Empirical Audio.

Does anyone have an experience with Empirical Audio mods for Sony S7700 to be used as transport? I think that the stock S7700 is already an excellent transport, and just want to make sure that it's worth the money ($500+.)

Thanks
nyran94
Supposedly, if you're using the 7700 as a transport the power cord really doesn't matter - according to Steve at EA. If you're going to install an IEC I would be careful of the grounding. The unit only has an ungrounded 2 prong power cord now, so I would actually leave the IEC ground unattached, or perhaps only ground it to the case itself.

One other thing, as a stand alone CD player after the mods the 7700 sounds really really nice too. You need a very good DAC to beat it on its own merits. Just missing some leading edge transient detail and punch/dynamics and air. But it is very smooth, extended and enjoyable on its own.

Good luck,
Bob
I've done IEC installs on 7700's for customers that requested them for $100. I dont recommend it because I dont believe it makes much difference. Maybe it will with your power cord however.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer/modder
Just wondering if a Modded S7000 would Be equal to the Modded 7700. Just remmber many saying as a transport stock both were pretty good but some prefered the S7000.
The 7000 and the 7700 are pretty much identical transports with EA mods.