Best floorstanding speakers under $2000

I currently have a pair of Axiom M60s, but am starting to feel the upgrade bug. I'm looking for another floorstander for rock that is under $2000 new or used and extends below 30hz. I would prefer 8" drivers if possible, but this isn't crucial as long as they go to 30hz or lower. I'm appreciate any suggestions to get my shortlist started. Thanks
linaeum66
I have Merlin TSM's and I've heard the VSM's. I agree they are among the best, but people have different rooms, ears and funny shaped heads that are part of the reason why there are so many wellc-loved speakers systems around.

When I REALLY want to rock the house I fire up the Def Tech 7004's with built in subs and augmented by twin SVS tube subs. They quite literally rock the house and are a ton of mid-fi fun. While I can hear more of a Pink Floyd recording with the Merlins, there's something very entertaining about the big Def Techs pounding along with tons of slam.

Sometimes a guy just wants rock. Now, if I want to groove, then it's up to the Merlins. ;-)

Rob
Pubul57: I would consider giving room treatment a shot. What do you recommend, bass traps in the corners? Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok, don't laugh now. Here is my humble opinion, and this comes from a guy who once spent 4 years with the Verity Audio Parsifal, a $ 13,000 speaker back then. (My review is actually still on Audiogon after all these years!)

I have owned countless speakers since, many between 2K and 7K.

My best advice would be to find a pair of Polk LSi15 speakers. The ring-radiator tweeter alone was used in many expensive speakers (Sonus Saber, Krell, and more).

It is an unbelievable steal that should cost you no more than 1K, and will put to shame MANY wannabees up to 4K and maybe more.

Better yet, if you can suffer some cosmetic issues, there is currently a pair here available for a measly $ 685.00

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1320418134&/Polk-Audio-LSi15-Pair-w/-Cherr

I don't think you can find anything around 2K that will perform at this level.

This is one I used to own and that I regret selling, simple as that.

Good luck
Linaeum66, precisely - bass traps made a HUGE difference for the better, along
with side panels to the sides and front of the speakers to absorb side
reflections - this was at least, if not more of a change, than any equipment
change I have made.

A fellow AGON'er recommended and I used stuff from www.acoustimac.com,
much cheaper than audiophile specific stuff that comes with a fancy theory to
explain the price difference. This company generally sells to recording studios
etc. (professionals) where pricing and sanity are required.

No matter what speakers you have, two bass traps in the rear, and two panels
on the sides should make for a better sounding room - you can do more than
that, but that is a good basic start.
My Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods have a low end spec above 30 but they have a useful extension lower than the -3dB point because of their transmission line design. So my suggestion is to give them a listen if you get the chance -- they will be considerably lower than your price point -- or make a mental note to look out for TL designs.