upgrading speaker crossovers

I have a pair of PSB Stratus Gold'is and I am thinking of upgrading the crossovers, I am going to try this before I think about buying new speakers., which are in the area of $10000. The crossover in a speaker consists of 1-2.5mf 440vac film and 1- 6mf 440vac film by RC. then I have 4 100mf 100vac electrolytics. Why are the elecrolytics there, is this because of cost? I would much rather put in polys in their place, which will cost me $30.00 each. So my question is are the elecrolytics there because of cost issues if so can I change them to ploys?

My equipment consists of conrad johnson PV14l tubed preamp and a conrad johnson MF2500 amp. Both are right now at cj to be upgraded, the preamp is also getting teflon caps. I also have a pair of Mirage M1;s that I have upgraded with SI tweeters and Woofers. Must have gotten the last ones from them because now they will not even talk to you about the speaker when you call.

Anyway any advise on upgrading the crossovers would be greatly appreciated.
jchristilles
I would assume that a designer chooses a certain value for a crossover component and then finds a part that matches that value. Each part has a tolerance. I assume the better parts have a closer tolerance and that the specified value is closer to the actual value than a cheaper part, on the average. Of course, tolerance means variance, so it is possible that the cheaper part could be closer in value to the design value than the more expensive part.

But then, I also assume that the more expensive part will provide a better sound experience, and here is where I think we go wrong. Why should it? What is it about an electrolitic cap that makes it sound a certain way? I dont know and maybe someone can explain that.
I was going to replace my capacitors with the same value just a different cap. There are electrolytics in there and I wanted to replace them with film caps. And if nothing else replace the 2 film caps, on the crossover with better quality same value.
Just got my conrad johnson gear back a few weeks ago. I had the mf2500 upgraded to the "A" version and the pv14l to the series 2 edition along with teflon cap upgrade. It is basically new equipment. I have just ordered Mundorf caps to replace the film caps on the Gold I crossovers and I am going to give that a shot first. After I will decide if I am going to replace the electrolytic caps. I was also thinking of replacing the tweeter but not sure yet.

If all goes right I might actually sell my mirage M1's that have upgraded SI dirvers in them from the tweeters to the woofers.
The 100mf caps and most likely a large inductor, are used to cross over the 10" woofer to the midrange driver.

Manufacturers are in business, first and foremost, to make money and that's why they use electrolytics. Specific values are chosen with the intention of blending each driver into the next one, while operating those drivers within their optimal frequency range. Aside from that, to many manufacturers, parts are parts.

Upgrading to better coils, resistors and caps should give you a more refined sound and probably eliminate some grain and glare.

If you're going to keep the PSB's I'd definitely think about replacing the tweeter. That's if you can find one with similar specs and it fits the existing cut-out. Sorry, but I hate metal dome tweeters. I've yet to hear one that didn't have a bit of sizzle and hardness on top.

Also, I'd stay away from tweeters with ferrofluid, which is what you have now. It's only purpose is to provide additional protection from idiots who do dumb things like clip their amp or short their speaker cables. Manufacturers hate warranty expenses and some go overboard to avoid it. There are resistors on the tweeters that provide all the protection you need. Unfortunately, they too reduce dynamics and often impose a fine layer of grain over the music.
I've not looked at the PSB Stratus Gold i's crossovers directly. I have looked at their design several years ago, seems I recall they were 4th order tweeter mid. The most dramatic change will be with any cap that is in the positive line in the tweeter or mid. Even though they are metalized polyprop, A polystyrene or Teflon in the tweeter/mid would make a larger difference than changing electrolytics out that are in compensation circuitry. It is not a bad move to replace the electrolytics, but depending on where they are, you might or might not notice much difference. Upgrading to better resistors is normally a good move also, but I have to disagree with changing inductor coils. Many coils have the resistance measured into the circuit and are part of the design. If you change a coil without properly compensating for the resistance, you could easily cause a more harm than good, many times alignment is thrown off and you get a smear in imaging and placement. This is all accurage information, I hope it helps, Tim