Dynaudio Contour S5.4 vs Focus 380?

Hi,

I am being offered both these speakers for the similar money.

And I am absolutely confused, what to do.

How can the differences be described? I could not find a review ANYWHERE!

Even asked Dynaudio. No reply.

Clearly the Contour is higher in rank but also older.

Both have the same tweeter.

I come from the Focus 340, and I LOVE them.

how can the differences be described?

Please help!!! Need to decide asap....
rusty75
Rusty75...i dont know based on what you concluded that i did not heard Contour 5.4...maybe on my post from 2013 year where i said i did not heard it...but in beggining of this year i heard 5.4 speaker in system of my friends friend with hegel H30 mono amplification...session was about few hours and in different system than my focus but enough to hear differences between focus 380 and contour 5.4...i also heard focus 340 with exposure 3010s2 integrated and contour 3.4 with vincent integrated amp (i cant remember of model)...so i know preety much differences in sound of new focus line and contour...and i wouldnt say that 5.4 is more unforgiving on bad records, or that bass on focus is more controled and precis...i would say that 5.4 is bit more involving and more musical and has lower ear fatigue than focus i heard...focus is also more forward sounding speaker...i writed in my previous posts every other difference i heard so...

Regards
Raindog thank you so very much
It was really helpful - I respect your post very much (of course - because you took the time to help me!!) but since you did not write that you heard both.. I was not so sure how much time you had spent with them.

From your words I understand that you like them better.

So now we have somebody who likes the 380 more (Yonigta) and somebody who likes the Contour more (Raindog031)..

interesting :)

But I am slowly looking towards the 5.4 a little more now..

That case volume, and construction, same tweeters, bigger dynamic range.. from the -facts- , it is the better speaker...

I will maybe have a chance to hear the Focus 380 on Wednesday.

PS Raindog maybe stupid question but the Focus 380 was fully broken in? My 340 took a -really- long time. And then, it was only good after I played them really loud for half an hour, After 5 months.
I owned Focus 380 for about year...burning in speakers lasted about 2 weeks of non stop playing at middle level...after 200 hours they started to sound much better especially on bass and slowly getting better till around 300 and little more hours...every Dyn sounds best when played at loud levels allthough they sound very decent at low and mid levels...dont get me wrong...i just loved to listening focus speakers but contour is just on a higher level...but if you like more focus flavor then go for it by all means, im sure you want regret it but contour will give you just more of that Dynaudio sound...more taller full bodyed images of musitians, more rafined and realistic sound...if you are not technophile who upgrades every 3 months and you mean to keep those speakers for a long time and have proper space for them i would say contour...then you will have world class audiophile speakers and will slowly build a great system around them...you wont be sorry either way...dont waste your time on reviews too much...trust your ears on auditions and then decide no matter who says what, bring your amp atleast if you can...good luck...keep us posted...

Regards
Hi Raindog

Thank you. I think you have convinced me :)

The way you describe speakers, is how I look at them. The last set I bought (with my hard-earned money, just starting to go to college), I kept it for 20 years. Then I spent 6 months searching, to replace my now really old Celestion 3 bookshelf speakers, with something better. One day I heard a Focus 160, and I thought - THAT IS IT. :)
So of course the 260 sounded even better... I went to listen to that a second time with my father and the 340 was also there... we both completely liked it.

Now I have replaced my Linn Akurate Amp with a Linn Klimax, and suddenly had the chance to also move up the speakers a little, but I love the Focus sound... together with Linn it is a perfect combination and I like to tell myself that I will stay with this for the next 20 years... it is a nice thought... :)

I will bring the amp in a few days and try to listen to the Focus 380, and then speak with the dealer about the S5.4... will then make the final decision towards the end of the week.

thanks!
plan to keep it next 20 years!? in that case go and buy c4-s NOW!!! forget what wife says, just bring them home...she will love the look :)