need help with Merlin vsm mme for home theater

thinking of buying vsm mme, my questions are, is it possible to use my Jlaudio f113 subwoofer with the speakers and not use the Bams? or do the bams have affect on the mids?
What is meant by RC's?
Is anyone using the vsm for home theater?
Since they're not demanding at 89db I was thinking of using my Arcam avr400, I know the speakers sound great with tube amp but I'm interested in a HT set up with what I have right now.
any input would be very helpful.
Thank you
tesseract86
Anyone use Merlins vsm mme with an AVR and a subwoofer and no Bams? is that possible?
thanks
I would call Bobby at Merlin, I'm sure he would be happy to guide you through this. Not sure why, but I can't recall hearing from anyone that was using the Merlins through an AVR, which doesn't mean it is not being done....
I just came across Bobby's post here and it answers my question.
I did see a post of someone using an Arcam avr350 with the vsm's and happy with it probably using bams as well.
thank you for your feedback.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1052012313&read&keyw&zzoctave
I'm sure it can be done. I don't think the system is going to sound as good as it could with an AVR (i.e., as it would with a higher quality pre and amp - or integrated). You could get the speakers without the BAMs and use a subwoofer as well. One advantage of the BAM is the roll-off in the very deep bass; because of this, distortion in the mid-range is reduced with use of the BAM (the VSM is a two-way speaker, and both bass and mid-range are produced by the same driver).

Having said that, I'll add that I am using TSMs with a low to moderately priced integrated in my video-only system. While sometimes I certainly "notice" the lower quality amplification, it's good enough for me for video. My bias is to use the best and most neutral speaker possible; and then work to tweak the rest of the system to create the best sound possible, e.g., using room treatments, careful speaker position, etc. For that reason, I like your idea of using the VSMs. By the way, if you want really deep, pounding bass - e.g., for explosions, special effects, etc - I think you would want to go with a subwoofer. And if you want to play loud movies very loudly in a big room, you *may* want to consider a three-way speaker (see talking to Merlin below).

Oh yeah, the RCs: I forget what the acronym stands for, but they are "jumpers" which reduce distortion from the amplifier. They attach to the speaker terminals.

Finally, I agree with Pubul, and suggest you call Merlin (Bobby) to discuss what you are trying to achieve. My experience tells me he will be happy to help, even if you are considering buying used VSMs. At this level of performance and price, I think it worth getting the best advice and suggestions you can.