i want a dull, caramel colored cd player any ideas

i like a dull, veiled, laid,back, boring sound capable of putting me to sleep. i hate treble and i don't like detail. i like subtractive coloration to such an extent that all recordings sound the same. you can talk about detail, neutrality all day long.
if you don't tap your foot, it doesn't matter.

i want to relax, not bothered by detail or dynamics. veil the sound and cut off the highs. darkness and dullsville is my motto, by choice. thick caramel syrup makes me happy.
mrtennis
hi tubemiser:

i am considering a granite audio 657, a unison unico and someone suggested a jolida.

i'm beginning to realize that the best i can get, is a cd player that is balanced, without any undue emphasis upon any part of the frequency spectrum.

i am focusing on tubed cd players because there is a chance that finding a nos tube might create some subtractive coloration, especially with respect to high frequencies.

my experience at CES and Stereophile shows, tells me that 24/192 players with up sampling will only highlight the flaws of bad recordings.

most cd players today are 24/192, including the jolida, so i have to hope that the right tube can partially compensate for the high resolution of current cd players.

i also realize that most audiophiles like the high resolution format, so i ahev been criticized somewaht for taking a very unpopular position.

hopefully, as i explain myself and people get to hear some of my comments they will realize i not trying to a non conformist for its own sake.
The Unison Unico and Jolida are both 24 bit/192 Khz upsampling CD players. Are you now open to other bit rates than 20 bit?
Mr Tennis - The Jolida is actually 24/92.

Though to be honest, I don't think less "resolution" is the sound that you're looking for.

I think you are looking for a sound that is warm, with ample midbass and lowermidrange, and subdued upper frequencies that is as non offensive as possible.

The thing is - you can have this sound while still maintaining the resolution in the frequency spectrum EQ'd with equipment and room the way you want it.

More resolution means more "real," a step closer to what actual acoustic music performed in front of you right in front of you.

You sound like someone who needs a turntable.??? All of this will be moot, because there won't be any sampling or bits.

But anyway, to pursue your sound, start with any high quality, warmish cd player, and use the room and your speakers to tune to your sound. Fight that right preamp that sounds just right to you.
I would suggest draping blankets, of varying degrees of thickness, over your speakers until you reach the desired effect.
I'm glad to read some constructive posts aimed at helping out Mr. Tennis. I happen to know this person and can assure you he is sincere. BTW, he does own a very nice turntable with a Grado cartridge.