dac chip vs analog stage as to sonic impact

when buying a cd player or dac, which has more impact on the sound of the component, the dac chip or the analog stage ?

to what extent can a tube analog stage "offset" the effects of a dac chip ?

if one were to assign a percentage contribution to the dac and analog stage as to the affect upon the overall sound, what might the numbers look like ?
mrtennis
Mrtennis - I would agree as I prefer non-os dac designs. Coming from the perspective that I primarily focus on analog (vinyl) as my primary medium, non-os dacs have given me the satisfaction of a sonic signature more synonymous of the analog sound I prefer. The added bonus is I don't have to open my checkbook to achieve this sonic signature.
A DAC is an analog device. What do you think the "A" stands for. It is also a digital device, but the digital part is a go/nogo thing and not likely to affect sound quality. The analog output of a DAC chip is fast and accurate, but generally needs a buffering circuit to provide a low impedance signal for output to other parts of the audio system. I think that the question relates to the quality of this follow-on circuitry. In early CD players this is where manufacturers chose to cut corners, and many early CD players were significantly improved by replacement of this circuitry. This is still common practice by MOD shops, even going so far as to install tube stages. Few, if any, MODs involve new DAC chips.
Few, if any, MODs involve new DAC chips.
Eldartford (Reviews | Threads | Answers)
You can start a list of MODs that involve new DAC chips with APL players. New DACs have been the starting point of APL mods since the APL Philips SACD1000. The new DACs installed by Alex make a stunning difference, IMO.