2 Subs

Anyone using 2 subs in a 2 channel system? I bought 2 M&K KX-10SF 8" subs that will be placed 3 feet apart underneath a pair of Lipinski 707 monitors that are 5 feet apart and 43" high. They will be hooked up via rca's. I got them NIB for 190.00 each so I thought why not get 2? Would putting the subs on stands help any? The room is 12x14 w/ 8' ceiling. Your thoughts or advise. Thanks to all.
polk432
Congrats on the acquistions.

Most subs placement are on the floor (without stands) with several manufacters using spikes.

Getting good bass from subs usually begins by corner placement. Adjusting the distance such as towards a corner or away from the corner, while you listen helps smooth and extended deep bass response.
I use 2 subs. I wanted something lively and quick, and that would fit into a very small spaces, so I got a pair of MIrage MM8s, which are 9" cubes. They don't go down to 20Hz, but they fill out the 32-50 Hz region where so many speakers are down 10dB or more. As with your experience, I found these $800 subs on sale for $270 each, so I also thought, "Why not buy two?" They have aluminum cone 8" drivers in sealed cabinets supplemented by two passive radiators. They're tight and quick and blend easily with the main speakers.

I position mine against the wall, each directly behind its corresponding main speaker. This gives me significantly more room reinforcement than placing them alongside the main speakers. These subs have continuously adjustable phase from 0-360, so dialing in the time alignment was painstaking but not really difficult. I get more low end drive or rock and pop and better scale and foundation for orchestral music. Listening to Beethoven's "Eroica" as I write this.
The trick now is integrating the subs properly.

A room corrected sub controller, either stand-alone (Velodyne SMS-1) or built-in (Audyssey, as found in many pre-pros and AVRs, or the TI version in the HK990 integrated amp) greatly increases your chances of nailing this task. If you do nail it, you may be astonished at just how good a 2.2 system can sound.

Marty