My system's high frequencies hurt my ears

Well, to be perfectly clear it doesn't always hurt my ears but I've been getting a little fatigued at times and I'm trying to diagnose the problem. A few nights ago I was listening to a new 24/96 The Doors first album release and had to stop playback. I switched over to The Eagles Greatest Hits, 16/44, and found some happiness there but I wasn't completely satisfied. Perhaps some of this is psychological, maybe I was feeling a little extra sensitive, but I'm sure I've had some issues with high frequencies in the past.

Here's my setup:

Serving all music, ripped to WAV by Exact Audio Copy or downloaded via high rez sites, via Windows 7 computer running J River set to WASAPI output. Sending signal via USB to Audiophilleo USB/SPDIF converter to PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. From DAC using Nordost Baldur unbalanced RCA interconnects to PS Audio C-100 Control Amp. Speaker wires are Nordost Blue Heaven. Power cables are PS Audio Lab Cable from wall to PS Audio Duet Power Conditioner. From there I use another Lab Cable for the amp and a PS Jewel cable for the DAC. The wall plug is on its own circuit with nothing else connected. Speakers are my old but good Mirage 1090i's.

Aside from perhaps the age of the speakers do you guys see anything that stands out? I spoke to a technician from Mirage and he suggested I'm doing too much signal processing which could be a cause of uncomfortable high frequencies.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
robpriore
FWIW, I think you most often have two choices when setting up bipolar, or a lot of panel speakers. You can emphasize an atmospheric (huge) soundstage or a very detailed or precise type of imaging which might loose a bit of the huge but pick up some precision and a sense of depth of image not otherwise available.

In the first it is all about how you treat the back wave - how it hits and bounces off your walls and to what degree it is attenuated.

The second is determined by how you receive the direct signal, including how it reflects off the side walls, floors and ceilings, as well as how flat the frequency response is, and whether or not it is best heard on or off axis. I've heard very few speakers, but there are some, that sound best on axis. For example, many speaker manufacturers of traditional boxes recommend that the speakers are firing straight forward.

Occasionally, and incident to the rising of a blue moon, you can effectively set up a bi-polar speaker which results in great width, height, and depth of sound stage and have great precision as well. Good luck...........

What I would do in your place to determine what is possible would be to set up your speakers optimally for the precision/tone effect by deadening the back wave and taking that out of the equation. Then you would have a tone you could live with - i.e. no high frequency caused fatigue. After that remove the deadening materials used on your speakers or walls and see how much the back wave really alters your sound stage. You might be surprised (or not). But you could then start to make incremental changes in the surfaces of the rear walls and adjacent side walls to get that huge soundstage effect you are looking for without getting the fatigue back.

In audio as with life, it is all about compromises....

BTW, I agree with the first poster, you have stuff in the signal chain which could certainly help produce the problems you are complaining about. Years ago I solved a similar problem by returning to IC's and speaker cabling that did not emphasize high frequencies as yours might do.
Just switch out all that digital stuff for vinyl/analog and live happily ever after. USB playing WAV will never compare, and will always fatige over the long run, IMHO.
Your front end looks great. You even have an amp, the C-100, with a very relaxed top end ... and you're still getting fatigued. I'd have to say in this case it's 110% the fault of your speakers.

Blaming it on too much signal processing makes me think they don't understand your computer audio setup. There's nothing at all wrong with how you're doing it.
IMO, if your speakers have metal domes, they stand a very good chance of being the culprit. As ears age, they can become more sensitive to edgy highs; if you've had the speakers for a while, it could be you getting older, and not the kit, that explains your changed perception of the system.

I've got this issue, and a good many speakers lots of people like are ear bleeders for me. Two reasonably priced (by hobbyist standards) monitors that are not are Fritz Carbon 7 and Selah Veritas, for a bit more are the North Creeks (probably not currently available), and for a bit more than that, various of the Montana line. All are silk dome. I'd stay away from metal, which is IMO a far more likely culprit than "signal processing."

John