First, my system:
Green Mountain Audio Continuum 1.5 Speaker
Rogue Audio Tempest Magnum Tube amp
w/JP Cables Maximum AC Gold Power cord
Bel Canto Design DAC2 DA converter
Bolder digital cable Interconnect
Silver Audio Hyacinth Interconnect
Zu Wax Speaker cable

I listen to a variety of music including jazz, rock, pop, electronic, etc. I currently use a Toshiba DVD player as the transport, but I hear too many digital artifacts, and I wonder if it is the culprit. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to spend under $400.
eeerie1
I used my DAC2 with Sony S7700. As Phil suggested, this dvd player is an excellent transport and works extremely well with DAC2. But, S7700 will/may play 95% of CD-Rs, but not absolutely all of them.

Suggestion about digital COAX cable being 1.5m in length is good too, but honestly, it all depends on the cable.

I have experimented with at least 8 different digital cables. DAC2 responds well to better digital cables.

This brings me to what I wanted to recommend to you, and that is, keep your current transport and instead get yourself an awesome digital cable, such as Virtual Dynamics NiteII. You can buy it for around $400 demo or used well under $400). I am certain this cable will make more difference with this particular dac than a $400 transport, be it used or new one. The best thing to do is to try. So, if you can borrow someone's cd player or transport to try with the DAC2 with your current digital cable, do that and see how much difference there is. I am willing to bet, unless there is something seriously wrong with your dvd player, that any transport under $400 will not produce that much difference, again, with this dac.

Call cable company and borrow VD NiteII. You want smooth sound, deep bass and excellent imaging with Bel Canto DAC2, the NiteII cable is all that. This was the best digital cable(under $1000) I've tried in my system.
The NAD C541i (and its successor) the 542 has a number of good things going for it:

- It's in your price range, esp. used ;^)
- It plays CD-R and CD-RW no sweat.
- NAD's Redbook error correction is a complete implementation of the spec.
- These players decode HDCD correctly to their analog outputs.

To my ears, HDCD sounds better properly decoded by the C541i than through the DAC2, though it's different and you lose some soundstage. So I happily switch back and forth depending on the disk. One thing for sure is I'm not hearing error artifacts.