Thinking about selling my CD collection = MP3

I am having serious thoughts about selling my 1,500 or so CD collection and going to MP3 playback format. At one time I use to have the time and sit in front of my system and really listen, I mean sit and really get into the music. Now with two kids, and the band that I play guitar in, there is simply no time. My listening consists of in the car or in the house while I am doing something else. I am thinking about ripping my collection to my computer, selling the CDs and my CD player and using a large storage MP3 player as my source. Any thoughts? Anyone else out there do this?
gretsch6120
I really don't think I will miss them when / if I sell them, as long as I have a secure way of digitally storing them. External hard drives are an option.
External hard drives are an option.
Gretsch6120 (Threads | Answers)
Make certain you have at least two separate back up hard drives, as each can fail. Also, it'd be good to know whatever interface connection they provide will be around in two years when you'll have to transfer your files to the next generation of storage drives. Remember the scuzzy? Wasn't that long ago...

I recall buying a Syquest drive many years ago after doing a lot of research. It was the most reliable and popular external drive at the time. I backed up my files diligently. Two years later, the interface was outdated, my Syquest drive became a doorstop and the storage media became coasters.

Computer audio brings it's own set of unique problems to the hobby.
Click here for a long boring discussion on the legality of it. After this discussion I came to a few conclusions based on the idea that what you are buying is not a physical item as much as the right to listen to the music when you want to. The disc has no real value, it is the music that the disc can produce that has value.

Most everyone agrees that

1. if you buy an original you can make a copy for yourself if you keep the original
2. you can sell the original if you don't keep a copy
3. buying an original and selling a copy is illegal.

If 3 is true as most agree, then how can buying the original, keeping a copy, and then selling the original be any different?

From the previous discussion it is clear that many view the record industry with disdain and can rationalize anything they do in light of this. I've been through this debate in the previous post and don't want to do so again, but it is interesting to see how widely varying the opinions are on this.

As to the original question, keep the CDs. They aren't very valuable, don't take up much room, it's probably illegal, and no matter how you copy them you are putting yourself at risk of losing the music when your storage media ultimately fails.
...keep the CDs. They aren't very valuable, don't take up much room, it's probably illegal, and no matter how you copy them you are putting yourself at risk of losing the music when your storage media ultimately fails.
Herman (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)
I'm with Herman on this 100%.