I want to re-introduce this subject.

I couldn't find it, so I will re-introduce this subject. Why is cd so volume dependent? This doesn't necessarily have to do with cd, as I'm interested in volume in general. Basically, I was attacked(or directed to) in the area of my preamp-which could have an effect. I just think, especially after understanding that many times there are many mikes involved, that what I have to say has some validity-no matter what my preamp is. Some of the questions I have have has to do with remote volume controls. Are they as accurate as the normal potentiometers? I say this because I changed the volume for a Jim Carrol cd, and it took me over a week to dial in the correct volume for most cd's-which is different than my volume for lp play. Come-on guys, this is too much work! Any help here would be appreciated.
mmakshak
I'm not certain Mmakshak's volume issue has to do with hot recordings (overmodulated...especially in the upper mids). Perhaps he can clear this up. I do understand the issues of hot CDs (they are rare in my collection), and CDs released with volume levels different from disc to disc. These are separate problems...the latter not really being a problem, but rather a nuisance.
Digital recordings have a definite maximum signal...all sixteen (or 24) bits set. When the CD is mastered the engineer should set the input signal level so that the loudest moment of the recording is just below this "brick wall" maximum level. This will provide the best possible resolution. This is similar to the situation of mag tape recording, where the maximum level should be set just below saturation (clipping). However, even two CDs mastered in this way can sound very much different in overall loudness according to how much compression is applied.
We (and I) talk about compression, and it is true that this can make for a louder sounding recording. But there is also peak limiting. If the peak signal is limited this will permit a higher input signal level even before compression is done.
Exlibris, I definitely understand the $17 question. With analog(pre-1982), we won't listen to songs/albums that lack artistic value. With digital, we don't listen to cd's/albums that sound horrible. It's a different situation to me. That's why, for now, I buy cheap cd's. I don't feel robbed this way, if the cd turns out to be one that I won't listen to. TVAD, I've added some bass traps, which may mitigate my volume obsession. Most high-end preamps talk about .5db resolution, although I seemed to have read somewhere about .1 resolution. I am a cd neophyte, so my questions are coming from someone who is new to cd's(BTW, what a cd player Alex made with his APL Hi-Fi Denon 3910-my version!) I'm actually hoping that I can control volume easy enough to re-introduce my analog into my listening.
I'm sorry, I don't buy into the idea that there is something wrong with my system, if volume is so critical. I've found volume critical with both analog and digital. The only reason that I've found it so critical with digital has to do with the purity of the signal, I believe. Please investigate, and report it here.