Wadia 861se with GNS vs Esoteric or Emm players

Hello, I'm ready to send my Wadia 861se to Great Northern Sound in the next month for their Reference upgrade. Would I be better off selling the 861se and finding a used Esoteric X-01 or Emm Labs transport&dac. Having SACD might be kind of nice. Has anyone compared these three? Thanks! Stan
talon4
Talon4,
If I am not mistaken the Wadia 581 with either the Ref. mods or Statement is 7-8,000. You mentioned you did not want to buy new, but if you can get a better player with the 581 than what you have I would consider it.
Once I get my system situated the Wadai 581 with Statement mods is on my short list to purchase.
Goatwuss, I feel that since the availability of sacd soft-ware is limited (in the type of music I care for) and the quality of the sound that I"am getting from Steve's statement upgrade, that sacd in "my" musical world is moot.....8^)
Thanks for all your responses. After weighing everything out and talking to Steve @ GNS, I've decided to send my 861se in for the Statement upgrade in early January. Steve said that the 581 is a better cd player in some ways, but the 861se with Statement upgrade will have better bass authority and the SE transport mechanism and tray are built like a tank. Since I listen to alot of music from the early 1970's--(Hendrix, Yes, Pink Floyd, Clapton), I feel that this is a better direction to go. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. Best wishes. Stan
>> 12-11-06: Talon4
>> Steve said that the 581 is a better cd player in some
>> ways, but the 861se with Statement upgrade will have
>> better bass authority and the SE transport mechanism
>> and tray are built like a tank.

Talon4, I have the 861SE with the GNSC Reference upgrade. it's a great sounding player even more so w/ the upgrade. I can vouch for the drive mechanism being built like a tank.
I wonder how the 861SE with Ref upgrade stacks up against the stock 581 & the 581 with Ref upgrade?
I hope that Steve from GNSC will chime in here OR any other member who has this experience. Thanks!