REL B3 connecting to Linn Klimax Solo help...

Hi All,

I cannot get any output using a 20hz tone on my demo REL B3. Its connected to the High Level unbalanced input with the earth going to my Source ground plug and the RED wire to my Right Positive Monoblock and the Left wure to my Left Positive Monoblock

The amplifiers are Linns Klimax Solo 500. Can anyone assist in determing the right way to connect this in a 2channel system only?

My Linn pre, source and monoblocks all used balanced cables.

Thanks
128x128dastrix
Just found this thread, which definitely looks relevant. I'll study it, and the links that are provided in some of the posts, later today.

Regards,
-- Al
Dastrix, upon further review I don't think that the issue of older REL subs being incompatible with Class D amps (unless a special cable is used) has any relevance.

As indicated in the manual, although your amplifier uses a switching power supply, it is a Class AB amplifier, not Class D.

Also, what apparently underlies the compatibility issue with Class D amps is that the voltages of both the positive and negative output terminals may be significantly offset from ground. If that were the case with your amplifier, there would undoubtedly be cautions in the manual about not grounding the negative output terminals, and there are no such cautions.

So I don't think you need that special cable, and the comments in the first of my posts dated today still apply. To be 100% certain, though, it might be a good idea to contact Linn, and ask them to confirm that the negative output terminals of the amp are connected to circuit ground.

Regards,
-- Al
Hi Al Does this help?

Klimax power amps have RCA shield connected to circuit ground which is lightly (~100R) connected to chassis.

The KDS (the source I used with the earth plug on the rear has transformer coupled outputs, so RCA shield is floating.

I still believe the unit is faulty because the gain at 50% shouldnt cause that sound I hear. Im taking it in this morning to get fully checked before I go further.

I think the chassis screw was indeed working and that the gain needed to be pushed more but couldnt because of a fault...

Cheers
Klimax power amps have RCA shield connected to circuit ground which is lightly (~100R) connected to chassis.
That is good background info to have, but it is not directly relevant at this point. Corresponding info about the preamp would definitely be helpful, though.
The KDS (the source I used with the earth plug on the rear has transformer coupled outputs, so RCA shield is floating.
That is definitely relevant, as it most likely means that the circuit ground of the source is isolated by the transformer from the circuit grounds of the preamp and power amp. Which would absolutely mean that the ground point on the source should NOT be used as the ground point of the sub's input. If that were done it would mean that the return path to the amp taken by current provided by the amp to the sub (remember that current needs a complete circuit to flow) would be mainly via the AC safety grounds of the components + the safety ground connections in the power wiring + whatever impedance connects the circuit grounds and chassis of the components. Definitely not a recipe for good results.
Im taking it in this morning to get fully checked before I go further.
OK. Good luck!

Regards,
-- Al
At the shop now, we'll see what the story is. New cable is on its way! Ill report back with the results

Thanks for your help Al! :)