JBL G300 vs The Competition

Using the A & B speaker modes on my Denon DRA 395( w/ SLDC) & the generous 30 or even 60 day MBG offered by some sellers, I have decided to put my JBL G300's( $240) to the test. Tonight I will begin a comparison with my new Def Tech SM 65's($670). The speakers are set at about a 150 degree separation to provide full stereo dynamics.

The G300's produce a bass freq response of about what I consider 40 hz(JBL claims a conservative 50) while the DF's claim 30.

The music for the test is based on my desire for more bass response than the G300's on some tracks w/o being forced to resort to my Ultrasone HFI 680 Hphones.

The fact that a marked improvement in bass is indeed present through the Hphones is evidence that it is there.

The tracks tested will be:

I Feel Fine
Babys In Black-- live
Day Tripper
Tell Me Why
Twist & Shout
U Cant Do That
Money
Old Brown Shoe-- alt version
It Wont Be Long
All My Loving
Fun Fun Fun
IWTHYH
R & R Music
Beethoven
U really Go t A Hold On Me
Walk Dont Run
How Can I Be Sure
A Girl Like U
I Gonna Be All Right
Hold Me Tight
A Hard Days Night

More as the test progresses.
roscoe50
One correction as Its Gonna Be All Right can be tweaked so it sounds as good on both speakers. This leaves the SM65 as a clear winner on only 4 tracks
The results of the comparison with the DT SM 45 are in. BTW-- MO is that the 45 is a better spkr than the 65.

Bass expression did improve withe the 45's( enabling me to dispense with the hphones) on the following:

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
How Can I Be Sure
A Girl Like U
I Feel Fine
Day Tripper
Babys In Black(L)
Darlin(L)
R & R Music.

The 45's are quite impressive and I may end up with them but for now a test of the Canton 502.2 will follow.