Is the RAM Modified Esound E5 the REAL THING?

There are all sorts of claims that this thing is better than a stock Esoteric X01 limited. Are these claims true? Can their mods really take this $800 unit to an over $10k unit for only $3k?

Any feedback is appreciated.
arbuckle
I will lend my 2 cents here for what it's worth. I sent my Esoteric P70 to RAM last week for an extensive mod,to include Ultraclock and Ultraclock PSU, etc. The unit is due back today. I will post feedback once the parts have had a 300 hour break in.

What confuses is me is how can anyone state that changing out the stock clock unit to an upgraded clock unit will not make a drastic difference, if this is the case then why does Esoteric sell seperate "Master Clock Units costing several thousands of dollars.

I realize I am in no way considered an "audiophile", however I do consider myself a lover of the music. So I will be able to tell if there is a drastic difference once I receive the unit back from RAM, and I will honestly post what I hear.

I will also mention, I had my D70 modded back in June07 and it was an eye/ear opening experience. I will wait until the P70 is mated to the D70 and as stated given at least 300 hours before I post my opinion. I will give the most honest feedback I possibly can. I am in no way tied to RAM, so I feel my feedback will help those boardering on making a decision of having a mod done.

More to come later
The problem with modded units is that it is difficult to have one for an audition or for an comparison with a non modded unit. Modifications could be fantastic on paper, but still it is the ear that is the judge. Even if a unit has all parts inside replaced with the most sophisticated and expensive capacitors, clocks, diodes, resistors, etc., there is no guarantee what so ever that these replacements would "bring the unit up to another level" sonically. There would be audible difference of course, but a difference is not synonimous with improvement.

Chris
Chris
Most people develop relationship with modder and know what thier abilities are, give them simple job first and if you like thier work give them more etc. I have had 5-6 pieces modded by RAM East so I know what to expect from Doug Jessie.

Also as each modder does more work over the years and hears more finished mods they become ever better at perfecting thier skills and knowing which replacement parts sound best giving each customer the improvements they seek.
Megasam, I was talking about modding in general. There are some audiophiles who think that their expensive unit even when it is spanking new sounds only good when it is modded. So why buying a $7,000 unit when it has to be modded first before it sounds good enough? This is madness! There are some units that are not to be modded (even when it could be improved on paper). Such a unit is the Wadia 7 or Accuphase DP-75V or Goldmund Mimesis 10c+.

Chris
Chris, RAM apparently has done lots of work inside the Wadia 7. I have a friend who has worked over the latest Wadia separates with battery power supplies. It's debatable whether any factory unit is ne plus ultra.