Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy
Just wanted to second the suggestion for rhing. I recently bought a modded PS1 from him and he was extremely helpful and took great pains to ensure that I was getting the best quality for my money. This entailed redoing the mods on a new second player before he sent it to me as the first one he worked on had laser issues. I have put in the Power Punch C7 cord and an Isoclean fuse as per his recommendations and the player sounds phenomenal and its not even fully burned in yet.
I haven't checked this thread in a while.

DaffyD54, thanks for the good word. I'm glad you're pleased with the mods. As the player settles in, you'll be amazed at what details and dynamic slam you hear.

Bottleflow, I use the Walmart White Lightning Moonshine (WLM) speaker cables with my upgraded Klipsch Forte IIs and modded EL84 push-pull tube amp. It shouldn't take too long for the cables to burn-in. The sound just becomes refined in all areas with use. I thought they sounded really good from the start.

Oldwiz, you have a nice set-up. I love my Klipsch Forte IIs. With your Fisher X-100, you must be in aural heaven. I believe the Forte IIs were made to play with EL84 amps.

I upgraded my speakers with crossover repair kits, new Titanium tweeter diaphragms and new internal wiring from Bob Crites (http://www.critesspeakers.com/). These upgrades have transformed my Forte IIs with tighter, better defined bass, a smoother midrange and treble and greater detail. I also installed some Pomona Electronics 3770-x Tellurium Copper 5-way binding posts that are just as good as the more expensive boutique binding posts from Eichmann, Cardas and WBT. With this set-up, I feel I have a system that rivals a comparable analog set-up.

This Spring, I am taking a vacuum tube amp building class at San Francisco's Randall Museum. We're building Direct Reactance Drive (DRD) 300B SET monoblocks, so I'll have to see if the 300B amps do better than my little EL84 push-pull amp.
Hola Rhing and other a'gonners. I'm using a Yaqin tube buffer with my PS-1 now and it really improved the fun factor, besides rendering a nicier sound. It's amazing what you can get for so low money.
I've heard good things about the Yaqin tube buffer. For the Playstation, a tube linestage further improves the sound quality. The Playstation's output is around 1 to 1.5V, so some gain tremendously improves the overall sound quality.
I am posting here for those who browse this thread. I recently purchased a mint condition Audio Research LS7 linestage to use with my modified Playstation 1. Even though it sold as an "entry-level" all tube linestage in ARC's line-up back in 1995-1997, this is an excellent linestage and allows all the detail through from the modified Playstation. Not only do I get exceptional solid bass and treble extension, but I also hear greater timbral detail, more space between the instruments/performers and that holographic soundstage that tube amps provide. The LS7 is transparent, and that added gain really makes a difference in extracting the most out of the Playstation.