Looking for a Solidly good inexpensive DAC

this notion likely gets beaten to death, BUT

I'm thinking about a DAC for use with some mid fi components, and my PC so as to incorporate some greater ease and variety.

Because my system is all holow state, I am also figuring it needs to be SS. Yes? No?

A good sounding overachiever that won't break the bank will likely do fine. something in the $300 - $600 range. Give or take a bit... no pun intended.

Any experience or thoughts or any slam dunk DAC ideas would be appreciated tremendously.

Thanks.

blindjim
Audiosector NOS USB Dac or a Promitheus Dac can both be had for under $400 new. Contact Peter Daniels for more info on the Audio Sector, he will build you one. His commercial version of this Dac sells for $1300. It is the same Dac internally just without the fancy metal chassis for 1/3 of the price.
Jim you might want to try a Scott Nixon dac. I hear good things about it. A guy on here said he heard both the SN dac and Paradisea and like the SN dac better. I didn't listen to him and bought the Paradisea. I was disappointed with it. Not saying it is bad but just was not my cup of tea.
Monarchy 22B is very dynamic and musical. Not SOTA in details but quite good. AES/EBU and coax in. XLR and RCA out. It has a dip switch for doubling output to 6V, for low gain setups. They also have combined DAC/preamp models. The later "piggyback" option is nice too.

Might be able to find a used Benchmark for your budget now but I found those to be system sensitive.

Blindjim, Did you ever get biamped?