Dunlavy SC IV or Merlin VSM M

looking to buy a pair of used higher end speakers. Does anyone have an opinion on which one of these is better? Both are available in my local used market. Thanks for your input.
aperez1958
I have had different results than Brauser with Dunlavy SCIV speakers. First of all, when set up properly the SCIV can produce stunning bass. In fact they are rated from 25hz to 20khz +/-1.5db. John Dunlavy's set up recommendation suggests starting 8" from the wall behind the speakers and pulling them out until you achieve the desired balance. Too many audiophiles forget about sound quality and set up speakers based on imaging, focus and depth. In the process the speakers end up in the middle of the room with no reinforment from room boundaries.

In my opinion the SCIV does not have an especially narrow sweet spot. I used this speaker in several configurations and the best results were with the speakers placed 15' apart and toed in toward the listening position. At this distance there was no loss of focus and the speakers produced a holographic wrap around sound with very impressive bass.

The SCIV is a big speaker and should be used in a big room. The cabinet is 6' tall and 18" deep. In a small room the cabinet alone will become a problem with its large reflective surface. On the other hand if you have a large room the SCIV is an efficient speaker and will play at reasonably high volume levels with 60 tube watts.

If you have an average size room buy the Merlins.
Room size is 16 x 23 with a vaulted ceiling and one wall open.
McCormack DNA 125, Belles 22a pre. Music Hall 25.2 dac. Minimac as server. Right now I have PSB Gt-1.
Totally agree with Rrog. Disagree with Brauser that Merlin's are plug and play. Good sound can be gained with lack of attention to details but the Merlins are not what I would call "easy going", attention to detail and solid choices is mandatory to achieve GREAT sound as is the case with ALL very high resolution speakers. They would be a better choice for most listening rooms but I would consider the Dunlavys in a large room, your room should work well with either so then it comes down to which you prefer, no one can tell you that. Your gear seems satisfactory with both but I would check with Bobby P to find out what HE thinks. He is VERY attentive to owners of his speakers and will guide you, I'd give him a call.
a, the room size is pretty much ideal for the merlin vsm.
cables to be used?

you may want to give me a call or send me an e-mail about this.
585 367 2390 or bobby@merlinmusic.com.
bobby