Sonos DAC

Wanting to buy a new DAC to use between my sonos and ars filharmonia. What recommendations are out there? I understand there is a mod that can be done to the sonos unit to update the clock/power supply. Would this be done in place of the DAC? Thanks
jamesw20
Tboooe

What digital cable are you using?, I’m kind of disappointed by the improvement I get when I connect my ZP-80 to an external DAC. I have used the DAC section of my moded Opus 21 and the top of the line Integra receiver (in my HT room), with relatively minor improvements. I wonder if the AQ VDM-3 (RCA to RCA) cable I’m using is not a good fit.

Anyone else has experience with different digital cables?
Just an update on my search. I purchased a Benchmark Dac1 for use with my Merlin VMS/Ars Filharmonia/Sonos system and found the sound quite thin and too revealing. I guess you can have too much of a good thing. I have now bought another Bel canto dac2 unit and it is working flawlessly. Sound is much fuller and rich. Think I'm done for now.
Thanks for the update. The Bel Canto is reported to be a warmer sounding DAC than the Benchmark. Your experience seems to support that report.
Down the road, you may wish to have the richer, fuller sound, but also a more articulate sound. If so, keep an eye open for the ZP80 power supply upgrade ofered by Audio Horizons. I mentioned it in an earlier post to this thread. I think it is well worth the investment.
James,

One thing that greatly helps the Sonos is a jitter reducer. I picked up a Genesis Digital Lens (GDL). this really improved the soundstage, bass, and cleaned up the highs. I hear the Monarchy DIP works well too.

After using the GDL a while, I picked up a Cullen Modified PS Audio DLIII DAC. This also was a marked improvement. This really brought out the fine details, and again improved the bass.

I then took out the GDL, and the sound was still nice, but the sound is better witht the GDL.

The DAC you got sound like it is a good improvement. If you want to experiment, pick up a used GDL or DIP.

Cedar,

Even with the changes, I mentioned, the Sonos/GDL combo isn't quite as good a transport as my Denon 3930 player. I am guess this is due to the power supply. I have seen you comment about the Power Supply upgrade for months now. Do you have any info when this will be ready? I would love to try it as I think I have the Sonos jitter issue under control.

Thanks,
Darrell
That's a good question. I contacted Joseph, the owner of Audio Horizons, to ask. I've been using protoypes of the power supply for several months and have posted my praise of it elsewhere. So, how about offering it to other people?

Joseph told me that he has reached his targeted performance level but that he is not yet satisfied with cosmetics of the unit. The power supply is external and includes an IEC input, too, so that power cord can be improved. He has been been waiting for cosmetic samples of the power supply enclosure - the box into which the power supply circuit and connectors are mounted. He told me the supplier has been slower than expected but that samples should arrive next week.

I hope the product will come soon because I'm confident that you and other Sonos owners will like it very much.