What's likely to go wrong with a used CD player?

I came close to buying a ARC CD3 that was about 5 years old, had been "well-taken care of" by the owner and he assured he had operated it properly as per leaving it on 24/24. He has been the owner since it was just a few months old. But I just couldn't pull the trigger.

All I could think of is sure it's been problem free for 5 years, but the problems start after I take it over.

So considering the reputation of ARC gear, build quality, yada yada yada, and that hopefully it has had a good home, am I worrying needlessly and passing on what seemed to me to be a pretty good deal.

My primary interest in this player, other than the fact that it is an ARC is I'm looking to upgrade from my Rega Apollo to a balanced CD player to go with my upgraded system of a balanced preamp and balanced power amp.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Gene
gene_bonin
1.laser may need to be calibrated
2.product may be relatively obsolete compared to newer - and cheaper - items

- if I were you, I'd do a careful audition to make sure it's an upgrade and not a lateral move; can you do an A/B comparison in which both CDPs have been on for a day (to make sure they're both warmed up)?
No, no A/B tests, unless of course I buy the ARC. Which of course then is very likely.

Most probably I'd be getting a properly operating player. So my real question is, considering this particular brand and model, what's the likelihood of anything going wrong for a while given it's already around 5 years old. I don't consider myself a heavy user.

I'm trying to decide if this is a good move vs. let's say saving my pennies for a while and maybe buying something like the MkII that is only a year or 2 old.

Gene
sorry Gene mine sold today, the buyer recognized a good deal...sometimes you gotta move quick around here.......good luck
Hello Gene,
I recently sold a Rega Appolo (damn fine sound!).
Wanted to be ready for Dolby True HD (way underestimated its transition from vaporware to reality).
Would love to hear the Saturn (which has quasi-balanced outputs).

As for your question, with moderate use, expect the laser to fail at the ten-year mark.

Purchased a Sony 10-disk changer around 1987.
Needed to replace laser in year 2000.

Otherwise it's still humming along!