Top 5 sounding cd player in the 1000-2000$ range

Looking for a cd player (redbook only). What would be your top 5 players in the 1000-2000$ price range.
acadie
Phill, I hope I did not come across as an expert on the Cambrige 640H and the CDP plat it has within it. It does not surprise me that Cambridge has made improvements to this DAC/CDP/HD system/server. Both the CD player that was part of this device and ths device itself both received very favorable professional reviews. The CDP was touted as being better than many more expensive units (if my memory is correct). This can be said of virtually anything produced now days; however, this does not mean that it is the best in its price range or even better than most or everything below its price range.

This is my impression of my experience with the Cambridge equipment. Sure it is better than some more expensive items (but so are some $200 Best Buy units). This does not make an item "great". I think Cambridge is a good advertiser and hence they get a fair number of reviews for budget minded items. My experience with their stuff is that it is budget stuff and not necessarily noticeable better than much of the mass market stuff. Please keep in mind that I own the 640H and am perfectly happy with it for my intended use and purpose. It is not bad, it is not great. It is a solid unit that performs adequately. Take that as you may, but it is my opinion of what I have heard of this unit and also limited other experience (at dealers) with Cambridge equipment. I consider it in the same class as Rotel or Arcam, for what that is worth. I also don't think their stuff holds good value and would very seriously consider buying used.

Again, in the $1,000 to $2,000 range, I think you can do much better.
If you are ok with a soldering iron, an Audio Note Dac kit plus something like an Oppo for a transport.
No, not at all, I was looking into the CA Cd players and was considering a purchase but I have no dealers in my area so all the feedback I can read is a big help. User opinions are all over the place, this means that some probably have remarked on the sound before break in is complete, others have probably upgraded from inferior pieces so the CA sounds wonderful to them. I read the reviews on the higher up players but I take it all with a grain of salt, the only positive is the number of positive reviews. BTW, I have read that the feet on the CA players are very poor and improvements can be made by addressing this weakness.

Phill
Phill, have you considered a used Esoteric DV 50? The only difference between the DV50 and the 50s is upgrades to the video side anyway. The DV50s seem to have dropped below the $2,000 price point.

I have not done much to try to maximize the performance of my CA. You may likely be correct in the better feet improving their units. Also, you should factor in the last three CDPs I have used that I have been happy or at least satisfied with (Wadia, AA Capitole, Opus 21 w/GNSC). All of which a many times the price of the CA. So perhaps, in comparison my expectations are not fair. On the otherhand, if you don't have a dealer or a method to listen in advance, I wouldn't jump too fast.

I honestly wish you the best results with your decision.
The problem is I'm still into vinyl and when done right and set up correctly digital is a poor cousin in my opinion. Because of the results I've had with vinyl I don't take digital as seriously so I budget a lot less for a Cd player or a Dac. I sold my Eastern Electric Minimax tube CD player (very good player) and decided to get along with a Pioneer DV-440 DVD player, that didn't last long and now I'm looking for something that is listenable and have decided to go for a CA 640, 740 or 840. I've also owned a Benchmark Dac 1 recently and really did not like its mechanical or unmusical sound. I'm going to take my time and listen to what I can before deciding on a player. Thanks for your input, I appreciate your advice.

Phill