My head hurts....

Looking to upgrade my digital and there are so many choices and possible alternatives that has my head spinning
Should I hold off and wait to see where digital is heading
I like my present universal player but alway's have an itch to see what else is out there

Opinions appreciated
musicfile
Mjcmt said:
"Musicfile,
I must state once again to really consider an outboard dac with a computer or cheap DVD player as your transport. This is the future."

I concur with Mjcmt. Some of us may not want a computer in the listening space, but wired and wireless interfaces are making remote connections not only practical but also audiophile standard.

Musicfile has a decent CDP that can be used as a transport with the best DAC that he can afford. With a good DAC, he'll almost certainly hear a major improvement. Hopefully he'll be able to audition a few candidates in his system. In my case, using a baseline Oppo as a universal transport or even an iPod/Wadia interface and feeding it to my Playback Designs' MPS-5 yields an end signal with the Oppo that almost equals playback throught he PD's Esoteric transport. The iPod/Wadia actually equals the CD playback through the PD. The improvement of the Oppo is substantial and easily heard.

So, the DAC is critical and can (should) upgrade all the digital inputs of your system. Look for a DAC that includes digital inputs in several formats and reclocks the source. Listen to DACs with upsampling schemes and decide if you want that or not. (I love that in mine, but it's ends up being a very expensive machine).

Dave
I'd didn't see a TT in your system, what did you get?

I must say, I'm mightly impressed with my new "The Voice" Soundsmith moving iron cartridge. The speed and bass are equally incredible, with lots of nuance, air and solid imaging.

Dave
I just got a Lenco l-75 that i'm in the process of fixing up

Now trying to addres woofer pumping issues as the tt may be to close to walls

Lots of fun
Pat