Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
There is one notable exception to the rule that audio gear is not status-related enough to attract the interest of non-audiophiles. B&O. Some people absolutely covet the stuff and I am sure none of them have ever heard a truly good Hi-Fi system. Or is it that most B&O showrooms don't have proper listening room to expose its flaws? A wise choice on B&O's part - because the stuff sounds incredibly mediocre for the price.
I agree that MOST music out there is pure pap with no worthwile musical content - but, anyone eager for creative inspired music can find it in abundance, and in many genres-you just have to look for it. If you can get CBC FM radio from Canada you will find an unlimited resource of well selected music with no prejudice - except that commercial music is ALL filtered out. check out cbc.ca and all of its radioshow playlists with ratings and recommendations that will keep you busy for a long, long time.
I think that most people are not experienced listeners.Whatever system they have is good enough for them.The high quality listening experience forces one to do two things,sit still for a time and appreciate what you are hearing, and spending more money than you may want to.
For me,high end listening is another way to "smell the roses".
johnny7
I feel that there are a lot of people who can afford excellent audio systems and would be very interested in them if they knew that they existed. The people in this country on the whole have little if any exposure to great audio compared with other countries that I have existed. In some parts of the world a great system is as much a status symbol as an exotic car is here(this is in response to the threads asking why people by Ferraris but not exotic audio....because they know that Ferraris exist!). I am sure that if there was a larger exposure true high-end audio be it an the form of $2K systems or $200K systems and a quick explanation of such things as staging and imaging, more people would buy into the hobby. I have had plenty of friends come over and listen to my reference rig that had not heard a real system before, most of them leave thinking that I am not the crazy person that they thought I was and as for tips on putting together a reasonable system. This hobby isn't just for us rapid electronic nuts but anyone that can enjoy music and appriciate better playback quality.
hi audio-unlimited. ah, if only what ewe are saying were true! ;~) reality is that the usa is *not* other parts of the world. to take yer automotive reference - in the usa nascar is king, not formula one. even tho folks know what a ferrari is, most americans will be more impressed w/a '57 chebbie.

i too, have many friends who have heard my rig. and, for the most part, very few are even remotely interested in investing in even a modestly-priced rig - cuz they don't need anything more than a cheap rack system for background music. most folks yust aren't into listening to music for its own sake. and these folks are *far* from yer typical stereotyped bud-drinkin' nascar-lovin' fan. ;~) i know three people who are now interested in decent audio equipment since being exposed to my rig - that's it. and only two of 'em have done anyting about it. actually, it's only one of 'em that's done anyting about it - the second has yust benefitted from the leftovers of the 1st, cuz the 1st went so overboard! :>)

regards, doug s.