Rockport Avior or Magico S5

Well I am selling my Verity SarastroII and looking at the Rockport Avior or the Magico S5. From what I am hearing the Rockport's are a darker presentation than the Magico's. Both seem to have great sound stage and depth. My Sarastro's I think are more like the Magico S5's and I am thinking of going in a different direction with the system.
What do ya's think?
hevac1
I've heard both with SS and tube gear. The Rockports just aren't my cup of tea, however they are loved by many. I'm not a Magico guy for the money either. Personally, I've heard far less expensive speakers sound better IMHO, but again, it's all about what YOU like, listen to, room and what you feed them.

Personally, in that 30k under range I'm giving strong consideration to the Vandersteen 5CT's...Like Rockport, they use carbon extensively, but the difference is that they also use it for their tweeter. That opens them up and makes them more dynamic and musical. I have yet to hear a BE, diamond or metal tweeter sound as good as Vandy's carbon tweeter. It just sings for me and I've heard them on the same equipment for the most part as the Rockport and Magico's.

I've learned a lot about audio since 69 and I assumed by now folks would want a more realistic presentation of their music, however I've noticed from various audio groups as well as stores that people still seem to want the tipped up highs that they associate with 'more open' etc...There are many of the 'name' brand high end speakers that I personally can't listen to without getting a headache from fatigue. For some reason I'm very susceptible to that while many others don't seem to be. I remember listening with a few guys to an expensive 'major name' set of speakers. I've heard the rest of the system a fair amount with a few other top speakers and I hated the big name speakers we were hearing. I left the room and about ten minutes later everyone was talking and getting up and moving around. They lost interest in what they were hearing. I think they heard what I did, but didn't even realize it. How many demos do you go to and you end up talking through them or just not engaged? I recently ended up with Vandy's after a long search because I was always engaged. From the 7's to the Treo's they just sounded closer to what I heard at live venues (we go a lot). They weren't the most exciting in the stores, but they were the ones I wanted to live with.

I also love the Avalons and the NEW (not the old) Legacy Aeris speakers, but they are so big and didn't go in my room. They would have been a push for me, but in the end, they didn't beat the Vandy's for me.

What is it that you like to listen to? What does your room sound like? Are you sold on only these two speakers or are you open to a bunch of the others ones in this price range (so many choices). What equipment do you have now and what other upgrades may you do?

You ask what direction you should go......(serious question). Shouldn't you go in the direction of what you can listen to and tap your toes or sign along? At this price range every speaker better get out of it's own way and be fast and as detailed as the signal you send it's way. The carbon tweeter and mids on the Vandy 5CT's have been as detailed and extended as I've ever heard when fed a great signal, but they were still musical. Are your speakers the problem right now or is it what you are feeding them? Just another way to look at it.
I have a slightly different take than Ctsooner. Its exactly why you need to audition both speakers before purchase - this is very subjective when you get to this level of loudspeaker and system/component matching is also another variable.

That being said, here is what I have heard and taken away....

Rockport Avior - I found these to be quite musical, especially on tube gear. Soundstaging width is phenomenal with images well outside the speaker cabinets and wall boundaries. Soundstage depth also very good, but not at level of Avalons. Solidity of images is incredible, very dense images. Dynamics were exceptional too. This speaker plays great on just about anything - rock, classical, jazz, etc..

Magico S5 - heard these with only solid state stuff. Build quality exceptional as were the Aviors. Imaging was great, but images seemed a bit thin to me compared to Aviors. Bass was fast and tight, but not as extended and full as Aviors. Soundstaging was great, dynamics were above average. But something was 'missing' with the Magicos - it didn't draw me emotionally into the music. They were a bit too analytical for me.

I liked the Aviors so much, I actually initially placed an order for a pair, then changed the order and upgraded to the new Rockport Cygnus.

Both Magico and Rockports (and Avalons) are world class loudspeakers. It really comes down to how these integrate with your room and system. Audition is a must, even if it means traveling somewhere for a weekend.
IMO... How many systems have you built with the Verity? I say this because you are not assured to have superior performance/preferable result from either of these speakers you are considering. Do not expect them to be unfailingly a step up. It is almost assured that at the level of sound quality you are experiencing there would be trade offs in terms of the finer aspects of performance when moving to either of these other speakers. i.e. soundstage character, treble nuances, LF cleanness and how it integrates with your room, etc. The speaker you own, as well as the others, are capable of stunning performance.

If you have not conducted several significant changes to your system, I would urge you to do so. Your speaker is a very fine product, and it can be made to sound fabulous. I certainly would not push you to part with it under the assumption that simply dropping in one of these others will transform the rig.

OTOH, you seem to know what you're doing in terms of putting a rig together; you have good gear. So, if you simply want to blow the money and try something different, it's all good.

Finally, my foremost recommendation: why suffer with one set of speakers? You seem to have some means; why not live the alternative experience and expand your harem of speakers? Keep the Verity's and go for a panel, an Omni or a horn speaker! Expand your world! You may find your musical bliss is in variety, not simply a narrow focus chasing minutia! :) I couldn't find satisfaction long term with one type of speaker even of the finest pedigree, but having variety has been THE panacea for my wanderlust in terms of speakers (i.e. flipping them in an effort to find "the One"). Something to consider. :)
Add me to the chorus who say you simply must hear them both and judge for yourself. There are it seems countless threads about Magico compared to this or that. By now the same responders are pretty much known and understood. There's just no substitute for your personal/direct listening. I've heard both brands numerous times with a variety of tube and SS amplifiers. I'd choose Rockport every time but that's me. You could prefer the polar opposite of what appeals to me. Go listen to both of them.
Good Luck,