Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
hi stthomas:

being able to hear the difference does not imply one will care, or spend money on audio equipment.

the issue is how important is availing oneself of excellence of sound or other aesthetic endeavors.

let me make an analogy.

suppose one has powers of discrimination when it comes to wine tasting. there is no guarantee that such a person will buy the "better" wine or even drink wine.
I think all of the last several posts are on target, namely that people have different tastes and passions. I guess this gets back to the question of why fewer are involved in high end audio reproduction. I expect several things are going on. One we are now a much older average age population now. Two, there are many other passions available now, such as video, gaming, digital picture and video taking, and involvement in social media.

I have two stories. Long ago I had a famous pianist friend and while at his house, I asked what his stereo system was like. He showed me a Webcor portable record player in his office. Seeing my amazement, he said he only listened for the performer's interpretation, not the music, which was all in his head.

Second story, my 16 year old grandson was listening to Pinky Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on his Ipod. I heard it and asked him to come to my listening room where I played the record. He said it did not even sound like the same recording and was wowed. He asked if I had a drum record (he plays drums in a jazz group), I played one. And he exclaimed, that this was closer to what he heard when he played, but still wasn't there. After a while he left with his ear buds back in and playing music.

Different strokes for different folks. But I should say that he is now interested in having better speakers and audio in his room.
Well, lots of people love audio by definition, from the folks tapping their toes while on the train, white earbuds jammed in their heads, to people who drive around the block, because their favorite song is on the radio and only halfway done.

As to why don't more people love the hobby of audio, because it's a pain in the butt. It's expensive, maddening and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow keeps moving.

Rich people want elegance and convenience, oftentimes. There are indeed rich folks who are totally into high end. But again, they tend to get stuff, and keep it. Done. I think most people understand that music is music, and reproduction is reproduction. Songs that make me cry, have that quality whether it's a download to my phone, or at home in the listening room.

It's that quality that makes most people say, why bother? It's all a question of what you're into. I'm a racing cyclist, who pedals in anger on a rig that, retail, would cost north of 10k. Why? It allows me to maximize my effort. For someone else, a $400 Trek hybrid bike is all they need.

It's the same with audio.
Because:
1) Doesn't increase their enjoyment of music.
or
2) Not a status symbol.