Benchmark DAC1 Pre vs. Bel Canto DAC3

Anyone compare these two DAC's? They both have volume adjustment and USB inputs and I was wondering how they compared sound-wise. The used Bel Canto seems to presently cost the same as a new DAC1 Pre. Thanks in advance.
imaginarynumbers
"So the DAC1 and the DAC1 Pre sound similar enough so that any comparisons between the DAC1 and Bel Canto also applies to the DAC1 Pre?"

I believe that is correct.

The DAC1 pre adds additional analog inputs for other input sources. That is the main difference I recall.
"So the DAC1 and the DAC1 Pre sound similar enough so that any comparisons between the DAC1 and Bel Canto also applies to the DAC1 Pre?"

The original DAC1 uses NE5532 op-amps in input and output stages. The DAC1 USB uses the LM4562 in the output stages. The DAC1 Pre uses LM4562 throughout. It stands to reason that these differences might result in a different sound. I recently replaced my DAC1 with a DAC1 Pre and did a quick and admittedly unscientific A/B listening comparison before selling the DAC1. FWIW, I felt I could hear very subtle differences, but both sounded superb and really much more similar than different.
Does the Bel Canto lack analog inputs? From what I can tell, this seems to be the case (probably to avoid competing with Bel Canto's preamps). If that's the case, that's a bit of an issue for me. I currently have a tube pre-amp that I'm pretty happy with, but I also wanted my DAC to serve as an alternate more detailed preamp. My North Star Cd player lacks digital outputs (probably for a similar reason, i.e. north star producing a transport). Do you guys think it would be possible to find someone to modify the cd player to add digital outputs or the dac to add analogue inputs? Could I do this for a reasonable price or would I be better off buying a cheap transport too? My wallet is hurting as it is...
The Benchmark has analog inputs, but from the little I've managed to read over the past few hours, it seems like the Bel Canto would sound a bit better.
With a DAC only device like the Bel Canto, as a first step, if I were you, I would consider using a computer or laptop as the source to the DAC via USB interface.

Another inexpensive option,if you already have a computer that can function as a music server and a Wifi LAN in your home would be to get a Roku Soundbridge (under $200), connect that to the LAN and use the computer as the music server. Take a look at my system for an example of this.

Total cost for a suitable laptop, wireless router, and Roku SOundbridge as a source for the DAC would probably be under $1000 if starting from scratch. This can offer top notch sound and the computer/laptop can be utilized for other common tasks as well while you listen.