How can you not have multichannel system

I just finished listening to Allman Bros 'Live at the Fillmore East" on SACD, and cannot believe the 2-channel 'Luddites' who have shunned multichannel sound. They probably shun fuel injected engines as well. Oh well, their loss, but Kal has it right.
mig007
Just what is mixed into the other channels? The stage is always coming at you from in front of your position. Certainly, a multichannel mix does not include any instruments/vocals coming from anywhere other than the front – right???? So, what is being channeled to the other channels - reverb, crowd noise…what?

2chnlben (System | Threads | Answers)

This is the essence of my question as well. For example, in the multi channel version of "Blood on the Tracks", one listener comments that the rear channels appear to have the same information as the front channels, but the rear channels are mixed in at lower volumes. Is this an attempt to create what a mic placed in the rear of the studio might have recorded had there been one in the studio?
2chnlben...The idea that performers should always be in front of you does not reflect the reality of a jazz jam session or a chamber music performance in your home. Note also my earlier posting about antiphonal music. Ambience is not the only sound for surround channels.
01-04-09: Eldartford
2chnlben...The idea that performers should always be in front of you does not reflect the reality of a jazz jam session or a chamber music performance in your home.
Perhaps not, but sitting in on a jazz jam session or hearing a chamber music performance in one's home (all I have seen still have the listeners in front of the performers, not surrounded by them) are not music experiences typical of most performances.

Are we to assume multi channel makes us part of the performer's perspective?

I can see where multi channel can be interesting for specialized performances/recordings, but limited in application.
multichannel concerns spatiality. what does that have to do with music which is pitch, timbre and harmonics.

mono is sufficient to reproduce timbre accurately. why is one so concerned about spatial cues. has the problem of accuracy of timbre been solved ? i think not.
Eldarford,

Your point is well taken, and as I stated, I really have not had an opportunity to listen to a really good multichannel music system. The fact that I have only heard really poor multichannel music systems has obviously prejudiced my perception. It's just that the argument - as presented in this thread - is so poorly....well, argued, that I couldn’t resist a bit of sarcasm. I truly would like someone to describe the enhancements / augmentations that well-executed multichannel brings to the music presentation. For me, a well defined explanation, or description paints a much better picture than a “cork-in-the-wazoo” one point perspective. No offense to anyone…really. What’s it like man! Some of us really do want to know.
Thank you…really.