Electrocompaniet ECD-1 or Audio Logic 24MXL

I am putting together a very transparent electrostatic headphone system with tube based amplification. I am in the search for a DAC that will work well with this level of transparency.

I have found the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 and the Audio Logic 24MXL as two possibilities. Many seem to think that the ECD-1 is a very good values and does many things well - including very nice soundstage and bass slam and extension. It seems that the 24MXL is a little more highly regarded in terms of realism and liveliness.

I want a source that is very dynamic and adds life to the music. Bass performance and extension is very important. I want great detail retrieval and sense of PRaT. I find myself mostly listening to progressive rock lately and timing and sense of pace is very important to me.

Any suggestions, comparisons or comments is much appreciated!

Peter G.
peteraudio7
I have had the ECD-1 in my system for approximately 2 years. My previous DAC was a Musical Fidelity A324. My initial impressions was that the Electrocompaniet was slightly more forward and detailed than the MF but the differences were not as significant as I was expecting. After switching from RCAs to XLRs, the DAC really came into its own and has been a pleasure ever since.
I own an Empirical Audio modded ECD-1 that is for sale right here on Audiogon. The modifications open up the DAC very nicely and I would describe the sound as bold & dynamic. It improved every source (from cheap DVD player to expensive transport) I connected to it. I've never heard the Audio Logic 24MXL. Good luck with your search!
I am still undecided. I am currently using the Stax SR-404 with the SRM-1 MKII solid state amplifier and it sounds wonderful but my Rotel's internal DAC, though nice for the money I am sure, is not up to the task.

Routeman21: Would you describe the Empirical Audio modification as a worthwhile one? What characteristics are improved?

The SR-404 is known to have a bit of an emphasis on treble which I notice. But it is less of a problem to my ears when the source is improved (tried 24/48 DVD video through a Pioneer 51FD using 24bit/192kHz Wolfson DAC - smoother but the Rotel bettered it in PRAT). Also, the bass is incredible in its extension but it has less "impact" than I am wanting. Bass seems to significantly improve with better source as well. With these two things in mind it seems like the ECD-1 may give me improved bass and a slightly lessened treble which may lessen the headphones treble emphasis.

There seems to be varying opinions on the 24MXL. I get the impression that it is more dependent on system synergy.