Anyone use a DVD player as a front end?

I was at a friends home today and listened to his system which is fronted by a Pioneer DVD player. My friend plays CD's on the DVD player and in his very nice system,the sound was extraordinary. Far superior to many transport/DAC combos that I have heard. What's going on?
janeb
Janeb: You'll have to forgive me, but after looking at your system and your date of registration, I really have to ask if you really own all this stuff or are just having fun with everyone here (ie. trolling)? By my calculations, not including a few components and a bunch of cabling, your system has a suggested retail price of approximately $675,000.

I would hope that the DV 414 would not sound great compared to your analog front end. Mine doesn't either but the ratios (more like $200 vs. $5-6K inc. phono preamp, although extreme by many peoples' standards are not quite in the same league as yours.
my Muse model 9 rev3 sig is amazing on CD at least as good as Meridian 508-24 but plays DVD to boot and for less money

terrific picture too
Using a DVP S3000 first generation sony. When I compared it to my California Audio Labs CL 15 I couldn't believe it. Sold the CAL right away.
Bob - I forgot to answer your question about deterministic outcome of asynchronous sample rate converter. I think that for practical purposes it is, but anytime you deal with asynchronous stuff strange things might happen. One of them is metastability. Designers fix it by making shift register that clocks signal twice to reduce chances of unknown outcome. It is a little like getting tossed coin on its edge - any flip-flop can produce delay or unknown state (in between logic levels) when clock and data change at the same time. It sound far fetched but many computer motherboards had problems because of that.