bel canto dac 3 cd 2 owners

hi, I have the cd2 transport dac 3 digital front end, and next week I am going to add the new vps power supply, which takes place of the power supply in both the cd2 and dac 3, has any one out there done this yet ? is it worth the money ? I know that better power supplies make about anything sound better, but this is a $2,000 upgrade so I hope its worth it ! thanks, chris
chrissain
I tried to start a new post/topic but it couldn't copy the entire text from another doc.

So I'll post here for now but if someone can tell me how to start a new thread and copy my full text into it, that would be great. In the meantime...

This is my first review on Audiogon. And since this is my first new D/A converter in my system for about 13 years, I thought I'd share some initial impressions. As a disclaimer, I've only listened to the BC 3.5 for about 6 hours... although it's been powered up for 30 hours. The BC is a loaner that has been burned in and I've had my gear warmed up for 48 hours.

What really interested me with the Bel Canto was to see how a new, modern DA converter sounded up against my 13+ year old reference Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MKII. As as optimistic audiophile always looking/hoping for for the the next audio epiphany, I wanted the Bel Canto to blow away the Sonic Frontiers D/A.

Well... good news for any SFD-2 MKII owners, you've still got a killer D/A converter... however, there are caveats... like always.

First, I'm an unabashed tube guy. I like the euphonics of tube gear. I don't need or want the sharp reality of SS gear. Understand, I've heard some SS gear that made me think twice about dumping my tubes for some Levinson, Rowland or other mega-watt performers. However, that's another discussion. Back to the Bel Canto.

One thing I can say with certainty (at least in my system), I did not like the direct-to-amp sound. The Bel Canto has a built-in pre-amp with digital volume control so you can bypass your pre. When I tried that it was way too bright and forward for my taste. So I went back to feeding the BC DAC through my Cary SLP-98 pre. Much better.

Before going further with other comments, I wanted to mention the other components in my system to give you a picture of what I'm listening through:

CEC TL1 Transport
Meridian 518 (yes, it makes a difference)
SFD-2 MKII

Cary SLP-98 (with 1950s NOS Sylvania tubes)

Cary 211AE Monoblocks

Focal Electra 926 Speakers

All nice cables, mostly Nordost with Shunyata PCs and Power Conditioner.

As a side note, I also have a VPI Scoutmaster with Outer Ring, VPI SS weight, VPI SDS, Benz H2 on a Ginko platform. This set up accounts for 70% of my listening, which at $6K is almost always more involving than my $14K (incl. cables) digital front end. But I digress.

The Bel Canto 3.5 is really, really good. In fact, I've heard some passages on tried and true CDs that made me say, "Wow, I've never heard that before... or at least not in quite the same way." There is a lot of punch with the Bel Canto. More than the Sonic Frontiers for sure but the difference is subjective. I prefer the SF.

Anyway, I'll post again after a week or so and report more. But, if you're thinking of buying the Bel Canto 3.5, you'll be thrilled... unless you have the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 :) Again, it's all about what you like in sound qualities.
from my experience the bel canto will take more break in, let us know in a couple of weeks or in a month, it has caddok resisters in the output stage, which take a while to break in. then it will crush that sonic frontier dac , sorry. also by looking at your system, the focals are a bright speaker, so are your nordost cables, all your tubes are mellowing out the sound, which I would do to if I had your speakers.
Chrissain, can you tell us the cost to upgrade the 3 to 3.5?
Also, what is the cost of the VBS1?

I am also concerned with the increased bass.
My system is at the point where more bass may
overload my room. I am looking for better pitch,
more delicacy, a wider and deeper sound stage and
a maybe a little more warmth, not to mention a lower
noise floor, all without overloading my room with bass.

If this is possible, then I am really tempted to upgrade
soon.
08-14-10: Zear
I owned a DAC 3, and though the cosmetics and faceplate were impressive, I was very unimpressed with the sloppy, substandard soldering that was evident throughout the boards.
I went through the innards of my DAC3 with a fine tooth comb looking at the solder joints and pressure-fit connections. I haven't seen better construction! The layout is clean and uncluttered. The PCB boards are arranged in ideal proximity. The ribbon connectors are fit perfectly to size. The connections are unquestionably solid. I've seen plenty of good quality constructions, but the DAC3 is a step above.

FWIW, I always look under the hood of components.
Has anyone tried plugging an upgraded power cord or
conditioner to the VBS1? I am really curious because
I have the Synergistic Research Hologram D PC on my
Dac 3 and the SR Powercell SE. The SR products have
expended the sound stage of the Dac 3 by a quantum
leap. So, it would be nice to use it elsewhere if it
is true that upgraded pc's have no effect on the VBS1.