Oppo BDP-83 optical out for 2ch stereo from blu-r?

OK, this may be a dumb question, but for the best sound from blu-ray (or dvd) discs should I go with the Oppo 83's analog stereo outs to my preamp, or use it's optical digital output into my outboard dac? Note that I do not have muti-channel capability, my stereo rig is 2 channel only. I am using the Oppo 83 for blu-ray, not as a cd player. For example, a concert on blu-ray disc. Would a HMDI audio de-embedder (hmdi-to-optical digital spdif) converter be something I should look into? Any advice on how to get the best 2 channel sound out of the blu-ray player would be appreciated.
Thanks!
heymikey
Neither connection is optimum for this since you will be getting a mixdown either way UNLESS you select a stereo track from the BRD.

Kal
The response would depend on the quality of your DAC and digital cable. The only way to really know would be to try out both options.
My toslink cable is a Wireworld Supernova 6 glass toslink, it goes into the toslink input of a Wadia 860x cdp (which in this case is serving as a digital "pass through") and then out via Kimber Select 2120 xlr digital coax to a Weiss Dac2 (the Weiss doesn't have a toslink input).
FWIW, Oppo has just replied to my inquiry, they say to use the analog stereo outputs rather than toslink. They say that way I can use the Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD formats.
But, you're right, I'll just have to try it both ways. I had assumed that by utilizing my outboard dac I would get superior sound. I'll have to try the settings for the analog outputs and see what happens.