Why CD players so expensive when the fomat is dead

Please explain to me why CD players are still so expensive, considering even the giant Wal-mart has announced they will stop CD sales due to lack of $$ support..It cant be supply and demand!
missioncoonery
What about the guy (me) who inadvertently grabs an .mp3 of a 10 year old track from a CD that is out of print (Clipper from Autechre's Tri Repeatae), and absolutely MUST have the CD? In this age of high-tech, low-quality rips that are everywhere, how do I find lossless versions of this and other newly-discovered, out-of-production music? Searching the globe for an online store that has the CD!
CDs wont be dead until lossless downloads are available for EVERY song in EVERY genre. That is a lot of hard drive space. They say storage is cheap, but it ain't that cheap!
Maybe music stores are dying, or getting consolidated, but not the CD - not yet. Internet sales are affecting everything.
.m4a and .aac still are not as good as the lossless formats. And I don't have a 45 pound, $5000 CD player. I just don't have that kind of money. The most I would spend is $500 and I am going PC audio, with all the music ripped lossless from - you guessed it - CDs!
IMO ,"DEAD" is an over exaggeration by the poster.It makes no sense to pay 1000s of dollars for a CD/SACD player these days when high quality download is available.Thats how I read the post which I agree with
First of all, well engineered CDs sound great.

Second of all, CD is not dead but is declining in both sales and in daily usage. Personally, I buy my own CDs then rip to FLAC. But, I am pretty sure everyone I know download their music from iTunes or some other site. They either don't like the form factor or think it's not "cool" to use CDs anymore.

Third, I think a properly implemented PC based system can sound as good or better than a megabuck CD player for a fraction of the cost since the CD medium do have more demons to deal with.

So, it doesn't awe me a bit that CD player prices are so high. They simply have to be overbuilt to perform as good or better than LP and PC/MAC based systems.

As for myself, I will continue to buy CDs as my main method in building my digital music library to play in my CD-less hifi.
Realremo- the example you provide is exactly what one would expect to see when bridging from one technology to the next. Of course you are going to rip your CDs- but in the future iTunes and the like which get their samples from the master tapes directly are going to completely kill the CD. In addition- out of print music like the example you give will become more accessible because the economics of creating a manufacturing run of less than mainstream music onto a CD will not come into play. You dont need to worry about needing to sell x to break even as much because the costs are soo much lower to simply get the song on a server! Music wont go "out of print" because there is nothing to print!

CDs are antiquated only multiple levels and the writing is absolutely on the wall.
I agree the format is dying, but I wouldn't quite call it dead. The reason CDs remain relevant is that the amount of data on a CD still far exceeds that of a typical download.

As technology improves and all the detail of a CD or SACD becomes common to downloadable files, the CD medium will become obsolete and, with it, our big-rig CD players.

This does not mean that the rest of the system becomes obsolete - good wires, amps, speakers, set-up, placement, and all that stuff will still matter just as much. The box where the CD player now sits will merely look a little different. And, it will require regular backup.

For now, though, I would not call the CD format obsolete.