CD and SACD player under $500

I am considering upgrading my CD/SACD player. I am currently using a stock Sony SCD-C555ES. Can anyone recommend a used player under $500 that would be a signifigant improvement? This is in my 2 channel system but I do need SACD capability as I have a large collection.

Thanks!

Mark
mhedges
I bought a Sony 595 SACD changer after hearing Buconero rave about it on several threads.I was hoping it sucked so I could bust his chops!! This thing actually sounds pretty good.I installed a Lite DAC Ah(another excellent,cheap piece of equipment) on the optical outputs for red book playback.It's not going to replace my Cary,but,you can't go wrong for the price.Check it out.
I bought one the cheap Sony as did Tpreaves. Mine is packed up in the closet as I found it a bit harsh. Maybe I'll try a dac with it. But be advised, for $65 it's a nice player, not a great player. As for the Oppo, I haven't heard the BDP-83 but my DV-980H is way over rated as a music player IMHO.
You may want to look at a used Marantz DV Series player. I went from a Sony 222ES to a Marantz DV7001. Major improvment all around. I have also heard the DV8400, which is also a very nice player.
Denon DVD 3910 - can be had $300 +/- all day long. Excellent player that is well-built and can serve as a decent transport if you'd like to add a DAC later.
Try the Denon 3930CI. In fact, I will be happy to sell you one for $389.00 including shipping anywhere in the USA. This was an excellent machine and would be perfect in your quest for finding an excellent cd/sacd machine. It originally cost me approximately $1500. I have the original machine which is in perfect condition, manual, remote, box and all cables and you would not be able to tell that it is anything but brand new.