Ayon CD2 is AMAZING

Guys,

Received my CD-2 on Friday and I'm still amazed and the unit has only about 20 hours. The soundstage extends beyond the boundaries of the speakers with palpable images you can almost touch. The Rega/Bryston combo is good but the CD2 is in another league. This unit captures the ambiance and nuances of the recorded venue with ease. I know layering and depth will come when the units has been run in and I'm looking forward to that day!

I'm definitely happy with my purchase
128x128wig
Agreed Budt! I'm looking forward to borrowing a very good ear I know to help review my CD-5s in the near future & will post a review on AG. I'm a passionate audiophile & don't have time for shills either. Going back to the OP's question, I don't think it's appropriate to describe the CD-2 as a reference player, however I know from talking to Gerhard Hirt the latest model CD-2s included a lot of design improvements, and was brought closer to the CD-5/5s. The main thing is Wig is happy with his purchase...great stuff!
My Ayon CD2 is being used as a transport now, using the Berkeley Alpha Dac and love it.
Taking an Ayon CDP and using an alternate DAC, well that is just nuts. Akin to buying a pair Dali speakers and then start changing out tweeters to make it better. Many folks have over many years trained their ears to simply, bad soundstage so they can not appreciate the unique sound of the Ayon CDP's. It is only after time that they realize what they have been missing.
Wig
Would you be kind enough to share with us how the two compared? I am sure the Ayon is a fine player on it's own.How did the addition of the berkley improve on it?
Jim, don't forget Wig only has the CD-2 (not CD-2s or 5s), and the Berkeley Alpha dac is a very good value high end dac. Robert Harley who is not known for his bs really liked the dac, and it supports formats the Ayon does not (eg: HDCD). Wig, if you like the sound (and i'm not surprised you do); keep enjoying your Berkeley.